[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Keyboard options for 1000?

shaver@convex.com (Dave Shaver) (02/20/91)

The keyboard on my A1000 is really in bad shape.  The keys stick due to
misuse by the previous owner.  Who makes keyboards for the 1000?  Is my
only option to buy a Commodore keyboard?  I'm not all that happy with
the 1000 keyboard anyway, so the more a replacement keyboard's layout
matches a true vt100 the better.  Cost estimates would also be
appreciated.

Also, does anyone else have a problem when typing too fast?  I often
get "ghost" characters entered for me by either my flaky keyboard or
Handshake 2.11a.

/\  Dave Shaver
\\  CONVEX Computer Corporation, Richardson, TX
\/  Internet: shaver@convex.com    UUCP:  uunet!convex!shaver

monty@sagpd1 (02/21/91)

In article <shaver.667009495@convex.convex.com> shaver@convex.com (Dave Shaver) writes:
>misuse by the previous owner.  Who makes keyboards for the 1000?  Is my
>only option to buy a Commodore keyboard?  I'm not all that happy with
>the 1000 keyboard anyway, so the more a replacement keyboard's layout
>matches a true vt100 the better.  Cost estimates would also be
>appreciated.

    Call Northgate Keyboards at 1-800-526-2446 and order an omni-key.
    They did have two Amiga compatible keyboards available. One was $69 plus
    shipping and the other was $119 plus shipping. I have been using one for
    about 3 months and think it is the greatest. This keyboard is also
    XT/AT compatible. They were going to discontinue one of them (The $69
    dollar one naturally) so it only had a one Year warranty. I am typing this
    from work on an XT and I can't find the spec sheets on the OMNI-KEY
    that I had so I don't remember the model name exactlly ( a little help here
    fellow netters). The biggest difference between the two was the more
    expensive one had a second set of function keys across the top which
    were equivalent to shifted function keys (shift-F1, i.e.). Oh yes there
    are 12 function keys. There is an additional charge for a package of
    "Amiga" keycaps to change them to match Amiga functions. The package is
    $14 unless you can swing a deal with customer service.

    One other detail: you need to buy/build an adapter as the keyboard has
    an A2000/A3000 style connector. There is no electronics involved to
    connect to an A1000 just wires to different style connectors. I have an
    A1000 and it works fine.

    Hope this helps,
    Monty Saine