[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2 questions

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Rory Toma) (02/20/91)

Two questions:

        First, I'd like to know more about this Transputercard, as in,
who and where I talk to to get it, or at least information about it.

        Second, what is the difference between a 68881 and a 68882?

rory

skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com (Skipper Smith) (02/21/91)

In article <2i1mX1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Rory Toma) writes:
>Two questions:
>
>        First, I'd like to know more about this Transputercard, as in,
>who and where I talk to to get it, or at least information about it.
>
>        Second, what is the difference between a 68881 and a 68882?
>
>rory

Well, I am not really qualified to talk about the first question, but I can
answer your second.  The 68882 is able to do two things at once- a conversion
at the same time that it is doing an arithmetic operation.  This results in it
being about twice as fast as the 68881 without any other benefits.  However, it
also is able to run at up to 50 MHz while the '881 is stuck around 16 MHz.
Finally, the 68881 probably won't be around much longer.  Rumor has it that
Motorola is going to phase out the '881 and only sell the '882.  Since that
would cause a production increase in the '882, the price of it would drop and
(hopefully) keep everybody happy.

--
Skipper Smith                             | skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com
Motorola Technical Training               | 8945 Guilford Rd  Ste 145