[net.space] space whoopee and whoops...

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:smith@UDel-Dewey.ARPA (07/21/85)

From: smith@UDel-Dewey.ARPA

It seems to me that Steve Kallis is quite right about conceiving in space -- it
isn't a very gravity assisted event.  What about delivery though?  The actual
"labor" is aptly named since it is a muscular event, but what about the
(necessary) time when the baby "drops".  I'm neither biologist nor doctor enough
to rate even an opinion about this, but it seems that it COULD involve gravity.
Does anyone who knows any more about this have any ideas?

		art smith
(smith@udel-dewey.arpa)

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/22/85)

> ...  What about delivery though?  The actual
> "labor" is aptly named since it is a muscular event, but what about the
> time when the baby "drops".  ...it seems that it COULD involve gravity.
> Does anyone who knows any more about this have any ideas?
> 		art smith

It should be called "push/pull" these days.  The woman is flat on her back
and the baby is pulled out (forceps!) once she pushes it far enough.  I
would expect the amniotic fluid and other mess of that nature to be more
of a problem in a zero-g environment.  Perhaps a steady air flow drawing
escaped fluids into a trap would be suitable.  Sometimes the neonate has
some fluid in the lungs that must be drained (hence the holding upside down
bit).  Perhaps a large, slow centrifuge could do the trick here ("No no!
I said 8 rpm, not 80!").
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

sck@elsie.UUCP (Steve Kaufman) (07/23/85)

In article <10626@rochester.UUCP>, nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:

> It should be called "push/pull" these days.  The woman is flat on her back
> and the baby is pulled out (forceps!) once she pushes it far enough.

        As I imagine "nemo" already knows,
	forceps are used in only a minority of births.

wscott@joevax.UUCP (W. Scott Meeks) (07/29/85)

_Time_Enough_for_Love_ by Heinlein had an interesting scene involving a delivery
aboard a spaceship.  For the most part, travel took place in zero g, but during
the delivery Lazarus Long (the protagonist of the whole book, I don't remember
the woman's name but I think she was his current wife) fired the ships rockets
(actually I think they were variable thrusters so that the transition was
smooth) at the appropriate moment so that the baby, in effect, had a "gravity
assist."

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:jrv@mitre-bedford (08/02/85)

From: jrv@Mitre-Bedford

> _Time_Enough_for_Love_ by Heinlein had an interesting scene involving a delivery
> aboard a spaceship.  For the most part, travel took place in zero g, but during
> the delivery Lazarus Long (the protagonist of the whole book, I don't remember
> the woman's name but I think she was his current wife) ...

No, I believe she was in the arms of her husband at the time, though.

>                                                 ...fired the ships rockets
> (actually I think they were variable thrusters so that the transition was
> smooth) at the appropriate moment so that the baby, in effect, had a "gravity
> assist."

As I remember, he merely adjusted the artificial gravity.

				 - Jim Van Zandt