[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Standard for long hex numbers?

In article <18881@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
>
>$ff010000-$ffffffff	Reserved

I always have big difficulties reading such big hex numbers. Couldn't
there be developed a standard to insert delimiters as in long decimal
numbers (there all 3 digits) all 4 digits?

How about $ff01'0000 (or comma or hyphen instead of "'")?

We only would have to avoid the colon so that it couldn't be mixed
up with Intel-like segment addressing.

(And I myself would like to avoid comma and dot, because their use
in decimal numbers is already reverse in USA and Germany. That
produces big trouble enough, and I wouldn't like to cause such
crap again with hex numbers.)

Or is there already existing such a standard, only I don't know
it and nobody uses it?

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/14/91)

In article <887@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <18881@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>
>>Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
>>
>>$ff010000-$ffffffff	Reserved
>
>I always have big difficulties reading such big hex numbers. Couldn't
>there be developed a standard to insert delimiters as in long decimal
>numbers (there all 3 digits) all 4 digits?
>
>How about $ff01'0000 (or comma or hyphen instead of "'")?

Why not just use a space?  $ff01 0000

Prior art: virtually every hex memory dump I've ever looked at looked like:
f000: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I suppose using a space might be ambiguous in some cirucumstances.  I don't
like the quote or hyphen, but the comma could work (as it works in decimal
numbers).

I do agree that *some* seperator needs to be used.  My eyes get lost after
more than 5 digit in a row, especially in hexidecimal numbers.
--
Dave Schaumann      | DANGER: Access holes may tear easily.  Use of the access
dave@cs.arizona.edu | carton and subsequent injury to the user.

 daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
>
>$ff010000-$ffffffff	Reserved

 peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

> I always have big difficulties reading such big hex numbers. Couldn't
> there be developed a standard to insert delimiters as in long decimal
> numbers (there all 3 digits) all 4 digits?

> How about $ff01'0000 (or comma or hyphen instead of "'")?

> We only would have to avoid the colon so that it couldn't be mixed up
> with Intel-like segment addressing.

> (And I myself would like to avoid comma and dot, because their use in
> decimal numbers is already reverse in USA and Germany. That produces
> big trouble enough, and I wouldn't like to cause such crap again with
> hex numbers.)

> Or is there already existing such a standard, only I don't know it and
> nobody uses it?

Yes, there does exist a very nice international standard for this
purpose, and I suggest we adopt it posthaste! The ANSI/ISO standard for
the Ada programming language defines numeric literals (in any base) to
include underscore characters at arbitrary locations, which are only for
human readability in source code, and are ignored by the compiler. Used
every four hex characters, this makes Dave's table much more readable,
and a lot easier to type from error free:

Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:

$_ff01_0000 - $_ffff_ffff   Reserved
$_ff00_0000 - $_ff00_ffff   Zorro III autoconfig block
$_8000_0000 - $_feff_ffff   Reserved
$_1000_0000 - $_7fff_ffff   Zorro III board space
$_0800_0000 - $_0fff_ffff   Coprocessor slot board space
$_0700_0000 - $_07ff_ffff   A3000 Fast RAM
$_0100_0000 - $_06ff_ffff   Reserved (future motherboard space)
$_00f8_0000 - $_00ff_ffff   ROM
$_00f0_0000 - $_00f7_ffff   Production diagnostic ROM space
$_00e9_0000 - $_00ef_ffff   Zorro II I/O space
$_00e8_0000 - $_00e8_ffff   Zorro II autoconfig block
$_00e0_0000 - $_00e7_ffff   Reserved
$_00b8_0000 - $_00df_ffff   Motherboard I/O and reserved space
$_00a0_0000 - $_00b7_ffff   Zorro II I/O space
$_0020_0000 - $_009f_ffff   Zorro II memory space
$_0000_0000 - $_001f_ffff   Chip RAM

Since the C compiler does not support this for input (or output, sort
of), it can only be used for documentation, but it sure beats nothing,
and doesn't conflict with either international usage mentioned above.

Kent, the man from xanth.

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) (02/14/91)

In article <887@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
| In article <18881@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

| >Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
| >$ff010000-$ffffffff	Reserved

| Couldn't
| there be developed a standard to insert delimiters as in long decimal
| numbers (there all 3 digits) all 4 digits?

How about $ff01 0000-$ffff ffff, i.e. just a space between every 4 digits.
Since we must indeed avoid dot, comma and colon, there seem to remain few
other choices. And since decimal numbers are sometimes written with
spaces instead of , or . this seems a sensible choice.

seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) (02/15/91)

In article <887@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
   In article <18881@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

   >Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
   >
   >$ff010000-$ffffffff	Reserved

   I always have big difficulties reading such big hex numbers. Couldn't
   there be developed a standard to insert delimiters as in long decimal
   numbers (there all 3 digits) all 4 digits?

   How about $ff01'0000 (or comma or hyphen instead of "'")?

I don't know about any "standard", but I usually just use a blank space,
such as $ff01 0000, and I believe I've seen it used elsewhere too...
In my own personal (and not-always-so-humble) opinion, hex numbers look
REALLY funny with any sort of comma, period or apostrophe in them

Just my $.02 ... let the flame wars begin :-)

Jeff Rizzo                   INTERNET: seamus@bucsf.bu.edu seamus@bu-pub.bu.edu
Boston University                                                   BIX: jrizzo
219 Freeman St. #2 Brookline, MA 02146                            (617)566-0693

In article <855@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:

>Prior art: virtually every hex memory dump I've ever looked at looked like:
>f000: 00 00 00 00 00 00

Sounds like you're dealing with an 8 bit machine there.  On our 68030 emulator
here lists with spaces depending on what you're listing.  If you asked for
bytes, you'd get "07f00000: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 ...", but for longwords
it would be "07f00000: 00010203 04050607..."

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/15/91)

In article <18986@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
|In article <855@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
|
||Prior art: virtually every hex memory dump I've ever looked at looked like:
||f000: 00 00 00 00 00 00
|
|Sounds like you're dealing with an 8 bit machine there.  On our 68030 emulator
|here lists with spaces depending on what you're listing.  If you asked for
|bytes, you'd get "07f00000: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 ...", but for longwords
|it would be "07f00000: 00010203 04050607..."

Would it help if I said it was a C64/C128?  Really.

--

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb14.063939.28350@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>  daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>
> >Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
> >
> >$ff010000-$ffffffff  Reserved
>
>  peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>
> > I always have big difficulties reading such big hex numbers. Couldn't
> > there be developed a standard to insert delimiters as in long decimal
> > numbers (there all 3 digits) all 4 digits?
>
> > How about $ff01'0000 (or comma or hyphen instead of "'")?
>
> > We only would have to avoid the colon so that it couldn't be mixed up
> > with Intel-like segment addressing.
>
> > (And I myself would like to avoid comma and dot, because their use in
> > decimal numbers is already reverse in USA and Germany. That produces
> > big trouble enough, and I wouldn't like to cause such crap again with
> > hex numbers.)
>
> > Or is there already existing such a standard, only I don't know it and
> > nobody uses it?
>
> Yes, there does exist a very nice international standard for this
> purpose, and I suggest we adopt it posthaste! The ANSI/ISO standard for
> the Ada programming language defines numeric literals (in any base) to
> include underscore characters at arbitrary locations, which are only for
> human readability in source code, and are ignored by the compiler. Used
> every four hex characters, this makes Dave's table much more readable,
> and a lot easier to type from error free:
>

> Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
>
> $_ff01_0000 - $_ffff_ffff   Reserved

Yuck!

Why not use spaces? Many debuggers and such allow them.
I understand that underscores are easier to parse, but it looks awfull.

ff01 0000  ff ab cc e1 .....

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

In article <david.0369@starsoft.hou.tx.us> david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.063939.28350@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>
>>  daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>
>> >Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
>> >
>> >$ff010000-$ffffffff  Reserved
>>
>>  peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>
>> > I always have big difficulties reading such big hex numbers. Couldn't
>>
>> > How about $ff01'0000 (or comma or hyphen instead of "'")?
>>
>> > We only would have to avoid the colon so that it couldn't be mixed up
>> > with Intel-like segment addressing.
>>
>> > (And I myself would like to avoid comma and dot, because their use in
>> > decimal numbers is already reverse in USA and Germany. That produces
>> > big trouble enough, and I wouldn't like to cause such crap again with
>> > hex numbers.)
>>
>> Yes, there does exist a very nice international standard for this
>> purpose, and I suggest we adopt it posthaste!
>>
>> Cheap-ass A3000 memory map:
>>
>> $_ff01_0000 - $_ffff_ffff   Reserved
>
>Yuck!
>
>Why not use spaces? Many debuggers and such allow them.
>I understand that underscores are easier to parse, but it looks awfull.
>
>ff01 0000  ff ab cc e1 .....

NOOOOOO! PLEASE, no spaces! See, for me (plus many people here)
a space is a separator, we expect that something really different
follows (you know, we write nouns together, like "Computerliteratur").
And here we must strongly separate one hex number from the
other. It happens very often that you have two numbers directly
following each other, just separated by a space as a normal word.
(Also mixed with decimal numbers that are not preced by a $.)
It would generate much confusion, if there also were spaces inside
one of these numbers.

So, for me the underscore doesn't look really nice, but it is functional.
And if it is already standardized, why not join such a standard.