[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] AdIDE w/Western Digital 93044-A

kamran@dialogic.com (Kamran Vaziri) (02/21/91)

Hello people.

I was wondering if anyone out there is using the new AdIDE from ICD with a
Western Digital 93044-A 40meg drive.  This is the combination I have right now
for my A500 but I can't get the damn thing to work!!!  I called Briwall (where
I purchased it) and their tech support didn't know enough about the product to
help me.  Then I called ICD.  All their techs but one are on vacation (real
good scheduling) and he was not real polite in fact he had a real attitude
problem.  Anyway, when I boot from the floppy supplied with the controller and
run the format program a window pops up which is supposed to contain a list of
drives recognized by the controller.  I get nothing.  I checked all connections
and can't find anything wrong.  The drive itself is a 3.5" drive with 977
cylinders, 5 heads and 17 sectors.  It's got the 40 pin IDE connector, the
power connector and a 6 pin connector right next to the 40 pin.  I don't know
what the 6 pin's for (could this be for jumpers maybe or drive ID??).  I'm
not too familiar with IDE's at all.  I would really appreciate ANY insight
into this problem and maybe even some recommendations on drives that DO work
with this controller.

Thanx much!!

KAMRAN@DIALOGIC.COM

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.173402.13139@dialogic.com> kamran@dialogic.com (Kamran Vaziri) writes:

>Hello people.
>
>I was wondering if anyone out there is using the new AdIDE from ICD with a
>Western Digital 93044-A 40meg drive.  This is the combination I have right now
>for my A500 but I can't get the damn thing to work!!!  I called Briwall (where
>I purchased it) and their tech support didn't know enough about the product to
>help me.  Then I called ICD.  All their techs but one are on vacation (real
>good scheduling) and he was not real polite in fact he had a real attitude
>problem.  Anyway, when I boot from the floppy supplied with the controller and
>run the format program a window pops up which is supposed to contain a list of
>drives recognized by the controller.  I get nothing.  I checked all connections
>and can't find anything wrong.  The drive itself is a 3.5" drive with 977
>cylinders, 5 heads and 17 sectors.  It's got the 40 pin IDE connector, the
>power connector and a 6 pin connector right next to the 40 pin.  I don't know
>what the 6 pin's for (could this be for jumpers maybe or drive ID??).  I'm
>not too familiar with IDE's at all.  I would really appreciate ANY insight
>into this problem and maybe even some recommendations on drives that DO work
>with this controller.
>
>Thanx much!!
>
>KAMRAN@DIALOGIC.COM

  I called ICD a few weeks back and was told that the Western Digital 93044a
was tested and should work with the IDE controller. They also mentioned that
the Connor 3044 would work (that is what I ordered). I have not yet received
my IDE controller or my IDE drive, but I expect them to arrive today or
tomorrow...will get back to you.

DavidTiberio SUNYStonyBrook2-3605 AMIGA TotoProductions DDDMEN