[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Super Denise on A1000?

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (02/21/91)

I have read that the Super Denise chip is pin for pin and signal for
signal compatible with the Denise chip shipped with the A1000.

Is this information correct?  Is the Super Denise in the same package
as the origional Denise in the A1000?  Is anyone currently using the
Super Denise on an A1000 without the 1(2) Meg. Agnus, Rejuvenator, or
DVS Wonderboard?

If this is possible, are the extended graphics modes available when using
a 512K Agnus?  If anyone is or was using the Super Denise in this
situation, please respond via a followup post.  I am sure I am not the
only person with this query.

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.175541.13611@en.ecn.purdue.edu> doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) writes:
>I have read that the Super Denise chip is pin for pin and signal for
>signal compatible with the Denise chip shipped with the A1000.
>
>Is this information correct?  Is the Super Denise in the same package
>as the origional Denise in the A1000?  Is anyone currently using the
>Super Denise on an A1000 without the 1(2) Meg. Agnus, Rejuvenator, or
>DVS Wonderboard?
>
>If this is possible, are the extended graphics modes available when using
>a 512K Agnus?  If anyone is or was using the Super Denise in this
>situation, please respond via a followup post.  I am sure I am not the
>only person with this query.

>* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
>* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
>*                           *                   \\\///030 *
>*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
>	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

Super Denise is NOT pin compatible in with the Denise version found in
the A1000. Two unused pins on the old part are now defined: CDAC and
CBL. CDAC is a 7MHz quadrature clock and is required for Denise
operation, and CBL is only required if external blanking is enabled. At
the very least then CDAC would have to be brought over on the mother
board(hardware hack). However Super Denise (ECS Denise) would not be
able to do much new without ECS AGNUS. The new video modes require ECS
AGNUS as well as ECS Denise. The only new capabilities one would gain is
the new genlock modes. Since ECS AGNUS is not available in a nonfat
version ECS is basically unavailable to the A1000 community. BTW I
understand that there are commercial boards that get around this
limitation, I am unaware as to there effectiveness or the level of
official support they enjoy and therefore will leave discussion of them
to someone else. I hope this answers your questions, believe me this is
not the first time they have been asked.