[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A500 and A590 questions

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.162708.18902@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Allen J. Fisch) writes:
>The A590 is available for $377 on ed
>discount, but since it is slow, only 20MB, and not precisely cheap, it
>didn't seem to be the right solution.  I have heard, however, that an
>Amiga with only 1 meg really limits its capabilities, so I'd like to
>add another meg or two. But then it occurred to me that without a hard
>drive, that extra memory won't be very useful - I'm limited to loading
>things that fit on a floppy!  THEN I saw that the A590 allows 2 meg
>memory expansion, so maybe it is worth buying after all - an
>unpopulated memory board costs at least $100 anyway.  Does this sound
>reasonable to all you experienced Amiga users, or am I missing
>something?

No, your not missing anything. A 2 meg ram A590 on a 1-meg A500 makes for a
nice system. Yes, the stock 20 meg drive that comes in the thing is not any
trailblazer but you can *easily* add most any SCSI drive to it at a later
date (I've seen good condition Q40 Quantum drives going for as little as
$200) and have a *fast* hard drive.

>Does the A590 come with its own power supply?

Yep.

>Does the A500 work with a standard IBM monitor?

No.

>On the more speculative side, is there any reason to expect HD prices
>to fall in the next few months?  (Why are they so expensive anyway?
>$599 for a 40 of 50 meg drive in the IBM world would be absurd.)

Economy of scale mixed with a "what the market will put up with" factor.

>If someone could answer any or all of these questions, I would GREATLY
>appreciate it!  Thanks.

Not all, but some.

>Allen Fisch (ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu)

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "We defy augury"                                                    |

In article <19174@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>>On the more speculative side, is there any reason to expect HD prices
>>to fall in the next few months?  (Why are they so expensive anyway?
>>$599 for a 40 of 50 meg drive in the IBM world would be absurd.)
>
>Economy of scale mixed with a "what the market will put up with" factor.

	I'd say it's more due to the cost of a PS, case, metalwork, PCB, etc,
etc.  It also gives you more than the standard HD controllers on PC's:
DMA, scsi, ram expansion.  The casework/PS is a non-trivial cost as well.
This is why we sell machines with bigger PS's and slots/drive bays - if
you're going to expand it, the end cost will be cheaper.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd L. Masco) (02/24/91)

ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Allen J. Fisch) writes:
> Does the A500 work with a standard IBM monitor?

Depends upon what you mean by a "standard IBM monitor."  I had my A500
working with an ancient Zenith do-it-yourself monitor, just through a
simple RCA jack -- nowhere close to ideal resolution, but it worked.

So, don't give up on the idea of using an IBM monitor -- take yours to
your local Amiga dealer with a patch cord, and see what you can do.
--
Todd Masco  | tm2b@andrew.cmu.edu | "Tax the churches.
CMU Physics | tm2b@andrew.BITNet  |  Tax the businesses owned by the churches."