[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Standing a 2000HD on it's side.

cfarmer@convex.com (Claude Farmer) (02/22/91)

I've been looking for a tower case for my 2000HD since it's such a desk hog.
Unfortunately, I've not found anything available although Golem is supposed
to market such a beast.  My question is, how advisable or unadvisable is it
to stand the 2000HD on its side?  I've got a 2091 and the 19ms Q40s Quantum
with and internal 3.5" floppy.  I'm concerned about damage to the drive
spindle and surface, not to mention performance hits.  If you know of a
tower case that's works, let me know.  This is the ideal solution.

Thanks,
--
----
Claude Farmer              Convex Computer Corporation    Richardson, Texas

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (02/22/91)

My 2500/30 has been on its side since day 1.  (Approaching its first birthday.)
I made a keyboard extension cable, and bought a joystick extension cable for
the mouse.  I also moved the Quantum drive from the 2nd 3.5" bay to its spot
on the 2091 card, which coincidentally preserved its orientation when on its
side.  (I.e. it is horizontal, with PC board down.)  I have had no problems,
and would recommend the setup over moving all the parts to another case, unless
you just _have_ to have horizontal floppy bays.

dylan
--
dylan mcnamee             / "Ten Years After WWIV...there wasn't much to do;
dylan@cs.washington.edu \/all the bowling alleys were wrecked, so I spent most

 cfarmer@convex.com (Claude Farmer) writes:

> I've been looking for a tower case for my 2000HD since it's such a
> desk hog. Unfortunately, I've not found anything available although
> Golem is supposed to market such a beast. My question is, how
> advisable or unadvisable is it to stand the 2000HD on its side? I've
> got a 2091 and the 19ms Q40s Quantum with and internal 3.5" floppy.
> I'm concerned about damage to the drive spindle and surface, not to
> mention performance hits. If you know of a tower case that's works,
> let me know. This is the ideal solution.

I've been running my A2000 on edge for 21 months, 24 hours a day.
About three months ago I stuck a Quantum 205MB hard disk on a GVP Impact
II (memoryless) controller in it in a hardcard configuration, formated
it sitting flat, put the cover back on, stuck it back on edge beside
my desk, and it's been running that way ever since, continually powered.

I put a cinder block under the console to lift it off the floor, but it
still sucks in a lot more dust than it would as a desktop unit; the
only extra care I've taken is to vacuum the air intakes on the front
"bottom" edge fairly often to keep the air flow functional.

Works for me, your baud rate may vary.

Kent, the man from xanth.