[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SetCPU - what can I do with it?

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (02/24/91)

I just got a copy of SetCPU, the utility to change '030
parameters.  I just got my A3000 recently, and I do not
know what the cache or MMU does, other than change the
performance if burst mode is on or off.  Can someone tell
me how I can use this program?  I tried 'SetCPU FASTROM'
or something like that, but it came back with:

Error: Alien MMU setup prevents FASTROM

Also, SetCPU says that my setup is as follows:

SYSTEM: 68030 68882 ALIENMMU (INST: CACHE BURST) (DATA: CACHE NOBURST)

Now, the system is the same as when I originally bought it.
How come it says ALIENMMU, which means that the MMU is set
up in some strange way?  Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks very much,

Veenu Rashid
AT&T Bell Laboratories,
Middletown, NJ

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (02/24/91)

> I just got a copy of SetCPU, the utility to change '030
> parameters.  I just got my A3000 recently, and I do not
> know what the cache or MMU does, other than change the
> performance if burst mode is on or off.  Can someone tell
> me how I can use this program?  I tried 'SetCPU FASTROM'
> or something like that, but it came back with:

Your 3000 already has Kickstart IN 32-bit RAM, and I presume that the ROM,
when available, will be 32-bit addressable.

You could use SETCPU to modify the cache values, but it's kind of a moot
point on the 3000; SETCPU was written more for the accelerated 2000 users.
Or am I wrong, Dave Haynie???

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

In article <1991Feb23.224056.28061@cbnewsj.att.com> vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:

>I just got a copy of SetCPU, the utility to change '030
>parameters.  I just got my A3000 recently, and I do not
>know what the cache or MMU does, other than change the
>performance if burst mode is on or off.

You don't really need SetCPU with the A3000.  The 2.0 Operating System sets up
the I and D caches the way they should be set.  If you are using SetCPU with
the A3000, make sure that you have V1.6, since V1.5 and earlier were written
before 2.0 knew how to handle cache parameters and, as a result, are not
effective in modifying the cache parameters under 2.0.

>Can someone tell me how I can use this program?  I tried 'SetCPU FASTROM'
>or something like that, but it came back with:
>Error: Alien MMU setup prevents FASTROM

My first question might be, if you don't know what FASTROM does, why do you
care if it works or not?  The documentation should come with SetCPU.

In any case, SetCPU is telling you that some other agent, in this case the
A3000's SuperKickStart, is using the MMU.  The "FASTROM" option of SetCPU
normally copies the ROM contents of a system into a 32 bit RAM buffer, then
uses the MMU to make that appear in place of the ROM.  On an A2500, which has
a 7.16MHz, 16 bit, 68000 bus ROM, this can make a noticable speed improvement.
The A3000 essentially has this all built-in.  SetCPU won't attempt to modify
an MMU setup that it didn't create.  Since it has no way of knowing which
program created the MMU setup other than itself, it'll report "ALIENMMU" for
any MMU setup it didn't create.

>Veenu Rashid

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett