[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000 HD trouble

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (02/27/91)

torkell@ifi.uio.no (Torkel Lodberg) writes:

>>Sorry you are having problems.  What is the second HD?  Is it properly
>   interfaced?  Terminated?  Please don't assume because YOU are having problems
>   with multiple HDs that everyone is.
>
> I don't think SCSI drives have the need for termination?

Improper termination can cause lots of problems. Only the devices at
each end of the SCSI bus should be terminated. If you've installed two
drives inside your A3000, and both are terminated, you need to remove
the terminating resistors from the drive closest to the motherboard.

>I contacted Commodore Norway yesterday, and they told me that there are
>problems with some A3000 machines when using more than one harddisk.
>Obviously this also depends on the SCSI drives in use.

I think Commodore Norway is confused. I'm currently running four hard
drives on my A3000 with no problems at all. But you need to make sure
that reselection is really disabled, it's easy to think you've changed
it, when you really haven't. Randell Jesup posted a test program a few
weeks back, I can mail it to you if you'd like.

>According to "reliable sources", the Western Digital SCSI chip

Make that "un-reliable sources". The only problem is a change in the way
reselection is handled. If you've got reselection disabled, then there
is no problem.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne