[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] AMIGA 3000 Compatibilitu

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) (02/27/91)

I will be buying a new Amiga system soon, and I am considering the A3000.
The problem is that I have quite a bit of software and I am worried about
problems with compatibility. Especially with the flight simulators and games...
Anybody and Everybody who has specific info on the degree of compatibility
(general of specific) ::  PLEASE EMAIL ME OR LEAVE MESSAGES ON THE NET, Please??

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
  thanks.

ifat423@walt.cc.utexas.edu (yo'man) (02/28/91)

yes, if one could also send the same info (and any more info on the particular
probs of the 3000), I would most assuredly appreciate the time.

Thanx,

no Macro Andrew

jseymour@medar.com (James Seymour) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.013246.4018@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) writes:
>I will be buying a new Amiga system soon, and I am considering the A3000.
>The problem is that I have quite a bit of software and I am worried about
>problems with compatibility. Especially with the flight simulators and games...
>Anybody and Everybody who has specific info on the degree of compatibility
>(general of specific) ::  PLEASE EMAIL ME OR LEAVE MESSAGES ON THE NET, Please??

I purchased my A3000 several months ago and my experiences have been this:
all of the "productivity" software I have purchased has worked flawlessly
under WorkBench/AmigaDOS 2.0, with one exception: an otherwise excellent
typing tutor called "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" (highly recommended BTW).
Like the games, I have to run that under WB1.3.  The packages include the
SAS/C 5.0x development system, ProWrite, Analyze!, and others.  Even a
bargin purchase of DPaint II.  Some of these were labeled as "2.0
compatable", some were not.  The games have been another story entirely.
NONE have worked under 2.0, but many work under 1.3 on the machine.  Out
of some 20 games I purchased from MichTron when they went out of business,
less than half of them worked on the A3000, even under 1.3.  The
remainder hung or "guru"d the machine.  WARNING: many of the ones that
do run, run too fast.  Some to the point of un-playability.  (Good going
game software dweebs - timing loops on a machine with high-resolution
timers - please excuse the flame.)  If you're interested, I can provide a
list.  My only complaint was having to "cold boot" the machine to get 1.3
to boot.  That was solved by a nifty program called (I think) "KickReBoot",
which can be installed in the WorkBench menu.  If you can't find it
elsewhere, let me know and we'll figure out a way to get it to you.  My
advise is to find a friendly retailer that will let you try the important
ones on a store machine.  Oh yeah, the PD stuff (with the exception of
a version of "ls" and a music player) has all worked too.

>rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
>  thanks.

You're welcome :-)

--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.