[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] help

za003@zeus.unomaha.edu (03/21/90)

  I'm /trying/ to hook up an Amiga 2000 and Mac+ via the Amiga's serial port
and the Mac's modem port.  I can get the Mac to send to the Amiga, but when
I try to send something (anything) to the Mac, all I get is GARBAGE!!!  (To
be exact, I get lots of graphic symbols, upside down question marks, etc...

  The hook up is as follows:
             Amiga      Mac
       pin                     pin
        2     TxD  -->  RxD     5
        3     RxD  <--  TxD     3
        7     GND  ---  GND     4

   Any suggestions?

             Brian P. Walenz
               ZA003@zeus.unomaha.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/22/90)

za003@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:

>  I'm /trying/ to hook up an Amiga 2000 and Mac+ via the Amiga's serial port
>and the Mac's modem port.  I can get the Mac to send to the Amiga, but when
>I try to send something (anything) to the Mac, all I get is GARBAGE!!!  (To
>be exact, I get lots of graphic symbols, upside down question marks, etc...

There's nothing wrong with your cable, the Amiga's terminal program is doing
something it shouldn't: it's setting the hi bit on every character it sends.

On the Mac and IIGS hi bit set means the 'extended character set' which has
all the foreign letters, graphic symbols, and so on.

I don't understand why the comm program you're using sets the hi bit.
There should be an option to turn it off. But if you can get the Mac comm
program to ignore the hi bit then that will also work.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In <1990Mar22.052652.351@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>za003@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>
>>  I'm /trying/ to hook up an Amiga 2000 and Mac+ via the Amiga's serial port
>>and the Mac's modem port.  I can get the Mac to send to the Amiga, but when
>>I try to send something (anything) to the Mac, all I get is GARBAGE!!!  (To
>>be exact, I get lots of graphic symbols, upside down question marks, etc...
>
>There's nothing wrong with your cable, the Amiga's terminal program is doing
>something it shouldn't: it's setting the hi bit on every character it sends.

>I don't understand why the comm program you're using sets the hi bit.
>There should be an option to turn it off. But if you can get the Mac comm
>program to ignore the hi bit then that will also work.

Could be a parity problem. If the preferences setting or the terminal program
itself is set for 7 bits, no parity, it's likely the problem. 8 bits, no parity
may cure it.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.