[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Boing Optical Mouse<-> IMSI Mouse?

Duncan.Lewis@samba.acs.unc.edu (Duncan Lewis) (03/01/91)

I picked up this really excellent optical mouse at a computerfest
which works on a Pee-Cee Clone.  Its hooks to the serial port
and has a power adaptor also.  Its a three button mouse made by Mouse
Systems and has the IMSI trademark on it. It is an optical mouse
and LOOKS exactly like the one that Boing puts out.

Does anyone know if I can do an easy plug swicth and wire reassignment
to get this to work on the amiga?

I use popup menu's and Switcher and its really confusing to try and invoke
either.  Swicter hasmiddle button capability which is all the reason I need.

If anyoen can help please post or mail, whichever is easier.

-DUncan

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/01/91)

In article <2796@beguine.UUCP> Duncan.Lewis@samba.acs.unc.edu (Duncan Lewis) writes:
>I picked up this really excellent optical mouse at a computerfest
>which works on a Pee-Cee Clone.  Its hooks to the serial port
>and has a power adaptor also.  Its a three button mouse made by Mouse
>Systems and has the IMSI trademark on it. It is an optical mouse
>and LOOKS exactly like the one that Boing puts out.
>
>Does anyone know if I can do an easy plug swicth and wire reassignment
>to get this to work on the amiga?
>
>I use popup menu's and Switcher and its really confusing to try and invoke
>either.  Swicter hasmiddle button capability which is all the reason I need.
>
>If anyoen can help please post or mail, whichever is easier.
>
>-DUncan

You have three options:

1.	You can hack up the mouse like someone suggested doing to the Microsoft
	mouse.  This operation bacsically means that you have to open up the
	mouse and bypass the CPU in it, and feed the "almost raw" sensor
	outputs to the Amiga's mouse port.  While this method works, I dont
	suggeste it for those not VERY familiar with analog AND digital
	electronics.

2.	Hook it up to the Amiga's serial port and rewrite the mouse drivers
	to read COORDANATES from the serial port rather than movement from
	the mouse/joystick port.  SOMEONE should do this, as it (with a few
	extentions) would allow PC serial mice to be used on the Amiga without
	modification-- but I know of no-one that has done so.

3.	Sell it to a PC person, and use the money to by a made-for-amiga mouse.
	For non-techies, this is the easiest.

					- David K

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/02/91)

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:

>In article <2796@beguine.UUCP> Duncan.Lewis@samba.acs.unc.edu (Duncan Lewis) writes:

[Desire to hack a Mouse Systems serial mouse to work on the Amiga
deleted.]

>You have three options:

>1.	You can hack up the mouse like someone suggested doing to the Microsoft
>	mouse.  This operation bacsically means that you have to open up the
>	mouse and bypass the CPU in it, and feed the "almost raw" sensor
>	outputs to the Amiga's mouse port.  While this method works, I dont
>	suggeste it for those not VERY familiar with analog AND digital
>	electronics.

Has anyone done this, no matter how ugly? I've got a couple of Mouse
Systems meeses (plural of mouse, right?) that I'd like to convert. I
know it's going to be a bit of work, but if someone has already puzzled
it out, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

>2.	Hook it up to the Amiga's serial port and rewrite the mouse drivers
>	to read COORDANATES from the serial port rather than movement from
>	the mouse/joystick port.  SOMEONE should do this, as it (with a few
>	extentions) would allow PC serial mice to be used on the Amiga without
>	modification-- but I know of no-one that has done so.

Someone HAS done this, and posted it to BIX last month. I'll get it sent
up to ab20 if anyone's interested. The only problem is that since the
hardware is read directly for a button click after a Guru, you'll still
need something attached to the mouse port for that. (Or just give the
keyboard the three-finger salute.)

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne