[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Large amounts of memory in a A3000

wewallac@watsol.waterloo.edu (Bill Wallace) (02/19/91)

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get a large amount of memory in a A3000?
I am interested in having 64 Megbytes, 96 or 128 would be better.  Also,
running a single, debugged, program, does anyone know how long between crashes
on an A3000?  Finally, does anyone have experience with large hard disks on
an A3000?  I am talking about 1 Gb or larger hard disk.

Bill Wallace
New OED
wewallace@watsol.waterloo.edu

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (02/19/91)

In a message posted on Mon, 18 Feb 1991 21:48:27 GMT,
wewallac@watsol.waterloo.edu (Bill Wallace) wrote:
BW>running a single, debugged, program, does anyone know how long between crashes
BW>on an A3000?  Finally, does anyone have experience with large hard disks on

Well, WITH buggy programs (IE: Stuff I've written myself, and a lot of other
BETA software) I go about 2 weeks before crashing sometimes.

  I'm quite happy with the Stability of the new O.S.  It's quite a bit better
than 1.2/1.3 .

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca

In article <1991Feb18.214827.10775@watdragon.waterloo.edu> wewallac@watsol.waterloo.edu (Bill Wallace) writes:
>Does anyone have suggestions for how to get a large amount of memory in a
>A3000? I am interested in having 64 Megbytes, 96 or 128 would be better.

At this exact moment, you'd have to build it yourself.  So far, at least, there
aren't any Zorro III memory boards that I know of out on the market.  Any
company wishing to design one could base it on the example I did for last
June's DevCon in Atlanta.  That example is fully tested, we have four working
samples.  The board supports up to 32 MB.

It has been slightly over a year since we started sending out A3000/Zorro III
docs.  It takes somewhere between two weeks (the total design, layout, and
debug time for the example memory board) and a year or so to get a producable
memory design going, depending on how important it is.

The main issue, I imagine, is marketing.  MOST A3000 owners don't need memory
beyond the 18MB on the motherboard.  And there aren't comparatively all that
many A3000 owners.  So anyone building an A3000 memory board for real
commercial production will probably need to consider the A2000 as well, which
makes the design more complex.

>Also, running a single, debugged, program, does anyone know how long between
>crashes on an A3000?

I ran one for a month once, a variety of test programs going between three
different hard disks on the A3000 (Hardframe, A2091, and internal), but had to
shut it off since I needed the system for other things.  At some times of the
year, we don't have uninterrupted power here for more than a month, but there's
no other reason that setup wouldn't still be running if I hadn't taken it
down.

>Bill Wallace
>New OED

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (02/19/91)

wewallac@watsol.waterloo.edu (Bill Wallace) writes:
>  Finally, does anyone have experience with large hard disks on
>an A3000?  I am talking about 1 Gb or larger hard disk.

I've run gigabyte drives by H-P and Fujitsu on the A3000. With DiskSpeed
3.1 the H-P hit 1.5 megabytes/second, and the Fujitsu 1.9 megabyes/sec.
Even running in high intensity mode with both DMA and CPU stress turned
didn't slow the results by more than 5-10%. Impressive performance!

The only problem I ran into is a bug in 2.02 that limits partitions to
less than 512 megabytes. I understand that this has already been fixed.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or   blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (03/02/91)

In <1991Feb18.214827.10775@watdragon.waterloo.edu> wewallac@watsol.waterloo.edu (Bill Wallace) writes:

>Does anyone have suggestions for how to get a large amount of memory in a A3000?
>I am interested in having 64 Megbytes, 96 or 128 would be better.  Also,
>running a single, debugged, program, does anyone know how long between crashes
>on an A3000?  Finally, does anyone have experience with large hard disks on
>an A3000?  I am talking about 1 Gb or larger hard disk.

Just a suggestion: Make sure that it has at least parity, or even
better EDAC. There might only be a 1/100 million chance of a bit
error, but the more bits you have the greater tha chance. There's
nothing worse than the system falling over after 18 hours of
ray-trace.

The extra cost is well worth it. No I don't know of anybody who make
the things for Zorro III.

Disks, you can get almost anywhere. HP make some neat ones, wit high
transfer rates, as are the nes "Elite" drives which are all too rare.
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sale \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337

sck@barn.watson.ibm.com (SC Kennedy) (03/05/91)

   For memory I don't know... But for Drives....

   I have been playing around with several ST1600N drives from Seagate. They
work great in a 2500, I have had upto 4 of them connected to my machine and
could operate nicely. Problems I did find were mostly AmigaDOS related, and
were'nt problems as much as "how do I deal with this?"

  ie: When you have 4 drives that format out to 1.4 Gig and you partition
them in 100 MG increments, how long does it take you to mount all of them.

  or better yet: Where did I leave my source??? Oh, yeah disk2, partition 6,
sub-directory, 14-42-523. Simple...

IMHO Seagate has a very decent drive. But, don't get the out of form factor
version. I had a whale of a time trying to get that one to be recognized by
the 2091.
Scott C. Kennedy (sck@shed.watson.ibm.com) | "All we are saying ...
Distributed High Performance Computing     |  is give peace a chance..."
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility  | John Lennon - Dec. 8, 1980

In article <1991Mar2.053412.2223@metapro.DIALix.oz.au> bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) writes:
>In <1991Feb18.214827.10775@watdragon.waterloo.edu> wewallac@watsol.waterloo.edu (Bill Wallace) writes:

>>Does anyone have suggestions for how to get a large amount of memory in a A3000?

>Just a suggestion: Make sure that it has at least parity, or even
>better EDAC. There might only be a 1/100 million chance of a bit
>error, but the more bits you have the greater tha chance. There's
>nothing worse than the system falling over after 18 hours of
>ray-trace.

Well, error correcting memory might be useful.  Parity memory would give you
a larger target for that random bit drop, and guarantee the crash, since the
only real recourse for a parity error, other than ignoring it, is to force
a system error (UNIX can sometimes deal with it -- a parity error on a code
page could be fixed simply by reloading that code page).  A parity error in
the data space of a ray trace would probably, at wort, give you an ugly image,
at best, be undetectable.  Certainly such errors elsewhere, as in big
financial models or some-such, are more dangerous.  But such errors are
extremely rare.

>The extra cost is well worth it. No I don't know of anybody who make
>the things for Zorro III.

To date, no one has announced a Zorro III memory board, far as I know at least.
But who knows, there's an Amiga show in NYC this month, and another next month.
Shows are often a good time to introduce new products.