[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 notes...

jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) (02/28/91)

        A couple of points first:

        I've never had a problem with my a2500/30 OR the new A3000 that
replaced it in dual-harddrive writes or reads. The old 2500 had a 2091
controller in it, and the same sort of thing exists in the 3000, and I've
NEVER had a reselection problem.  Yes, both drives are set for reselectionin
HDToolbox.  I did have an occasional problem with a drive booting when I
first moved the larger 100meg Quantum over to the 3000, but that was because
of 2 reasons:  first, didn't removed the terminators from the 50S in the
system, and secondly, I didn't have the second scsi cable snugly attached to
the internal connector.  I think if you're having a problem, stop
blaming the hardware so quickly and look carefully at your connections.

        Secondly - SETCPU.  Someone asked about it working on the 3000.  It
doesn't, but but doesn't HAVE to. There's a new command in your C: directory
called CPU.  Use it the same way you used to use SETCPU.

        Thirdly - SETRAMSEY.  Has ANYONE been able to get this programme to
work?  I run it and it tells me that my 6 Meg (using 1Mx4 SCRAMS, 70ns) has
it's static mode turned off.  I try to turn it on and it crashes the machine
within an operation or two.  The only NON-CBM programmes I have running is
FACC, ToolList (which allows additions to the TOOLS menu), starblanker and
MouseDJ (the best all-around mouse tool - PLEASE check it out! Use version 5
or later, as they support 2.0) and I've turned each of them off before
trying SETRAMSEY.  It do the GURU.  So I give - anyone have any ideas?

        Lastly, has anyone had any experience with 200+ meg 3.5" drives? Any
reccomendations?  I want to consolidate my 2 HDs into one larger one, and
stick another internal floppy drive.  But a few key points: the new drive
has to be atleast 200 megs, as fast if not faster than the existing Quantums
I now use, and be reliable.  No Miniscribes need apply.  I'd like HDToolbox
to do all the work, right - the first time.  A local dealer suggested a
Maxtor 207 meg drive (I think it's the LXT2000S) and another suggested a
Connors 3200.  Any ideas as to whether they're as fast as Quantum (I think
the Q50s and 105S drives have 64K caches) or does anyone have a better
choice, and a place where I could get one cheaply.  Oh yeah, last
requirement - gotta be as cheap as possible.  Surprise.

        Jim Trascapoulos
        CSAccess BBS  *  Lawrenceville, NJ  *  609.584.8774
        Public Access Amiga/Unix Usenet BBS

        "Why? Because."

In article <D0e2X1w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM> jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) writes:

>        Secondly - SETCPU.  Someone asked about it working on the 3000.  It
>doesn't, but but doesn't HAVE to. There's a new command in your C: directory
>called CPU.  Use it the same way you used to use SETCPU.

SetCPU V1.6 works just dandy on the A3000, or rather, under 2.0.  OS releases
prior to 2.00 had no cache control mechanism in the OS, so SetCPU could just
modify the cache settings itself.  Since 2.0's Exec manages the cache, SetCPU
had to be modified to use the 2.0 Exec calls to effect cache parameters.

A3000s are all essentially running FASTROM at this time, which is a result
of booting via SuperKickStart as they all do now.  So SetCPU's FASTROM/KICKROM
option isn't really necessary.  In either case, there is the CPU program,
which was originally based on SetCPU and does the same job, now as a standard
part of 2.0.  So you don't need to hunt up SetCPU V1.6 if just just want to
muck around with cache parameters.

>        Thirdly - SETRAMSEY.  Has ANYONE been able to get this programme to
>work?  I run it and it tells me that my 6 Meg (using 1Mx4 SCRAMS, 70ns) has
>it's static mode turned off.

One More Time.... Don't use SetRAMSEY -- throw it away.  It doesn't understand
the RAMSEY chip properly, and what it calls "STATIC" mode isn't.  Both BURST
and PAGE-DETECT modes in RAMSEY are SCRAM modes.  You want BURST on,
PAGE-DETECT off.  The OS does this for you.

>        Jim Trascapoulos

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) (03/05/91)

In article <D0e2X1w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM> jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) writes:
>has to be atleast 200 megs, as fast if not faster than the existing Quantums
>I now use, and be reliable.  No Miniscribes need apply.  I'd like HDToolbox
>to do all the work, right - the first time.  A local dealer suggested a
>Maxtor 207 meg drive (I think it's the LXT2000S) and another suggested a

I think you're off by an order of 10.  LXT-200S ;-)?

>Connors 3200.  Any ideas as to whether they're as fast as Quantum (I think
>the Q50s and 105S drives have 64K caches) or does anyone have a better
>choice, and a place where I could get one cheaply.  Oh yeah, last
>requirement - gotta be as cheap as possible.  Surprise.

I have the Maxtor LXT-200S.  It's a nice drive with 32K buffer.  It's rated as
being as fast as the Quantums, but the testing I've done showed the Quantum
50MB as being slightly faster.  In use, I've noticed little difference.  The
Maxtor is QUIETER than the Quantum.

Buffer vs. Cache.  Most drives have buffers as opposed to cache.  The difference
being that the buffers hold the next 32/64/whateverK that the drive reads, in
case you need them.  Cache holds the tracks that you use the most often,
and 32/64K of cache would be almost useless (since it would usually get flushed
before you could use it).  Basically.

I chose the Maxtor over the Conner 3200.  If you decide to go with that one,
make sure that you get the high prefermance one.  There's a CP-3200 and a
CP-3200F (I think it's an F).  The 3200F is about as fast as the Maxtor/Quantum,
and the straight 3200 is quite a bit slower.  The people I talked to didn't
know which one they sold, so I didn't buy.

Hope this helps.

Sean
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/05/91)

In article <D0e2X1w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM- jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) writes:
-
[...]

Control Data drives at 400 MB are said to be good - even though they
now really are Seagate drives...

Fujitsu have 3 1/2" drives as large as 520 MB, but they are not
especially cheap.

Maxtors had a good reputation a few years ago, but are now mainly
sold here in Sweden at bargain prices by un-known companies.