[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Technical papers from Commodore?

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (03/05/91)

Hi,

 Does anyone know of any technical papers on the Amiga custom chips
(a white-box viewpoint)?

 Also, are there any papers on the system architecture design?

If there are any recent ones on the 3000, new chips that would be
preferable.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

--
2B|!(2B) => ?               Can a perfect being create an object
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu        Heavier than it can lift?

In article <13395@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:

> Does anyone know of any technical papers on the Amiga custom chips
>(a white-box viewpoint)?

The best treatment of the custom chips that I can think of offhand is in the
Amiga Hardware manual.  It's probably not just what you're looking for.  I
don't recall what else might be around.  Perhaps some of the early magazine
writeups of the A1000 would have a more succinct technical writeup.

> Also, are there any papers on the system architecture design?

>If there are any recent ones on the 3000, new chips that would be
>preferable.

There is a reasonably amount of A3000 system architecture discussed in the
last set of Developer's Conference notes, from last June's DevCon in Atlanta.
Greg Berlin did a paper on A3000 system architecture, which covered the
basics of the A3000 system-level chips (Amber, Buster, DMAC, Gary, Ramsey).
Scott Schaeffer did a writeup on the A3000 Coprocessor interface, and I
presented the latest (at the time) version of the Zorro III Bus Specification.

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett