[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP '030 Q's: Upgradeability, cost, crystal speeds

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/06/91)

In article <jeffo.668245428@mrcnext>, jeffo@mrcnext.uiuc.edu
(Jeffrey B Nicholson) writes:

> How far could I push my board by dropping in a new clock
> crystal?

Probably not far enough to make it worth the risk.

Can't answer the marketing/sales questions, sorry.

Ralph

jeffo@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) (03/06/91)

I've got a 25Mhz GVP 68030 with an 68882 FPU and 8MB of ram.  I was told
by GVP that there is no upgrade path from this setup to any other GVP
'030 product.  Why?

How far could I push my board by dropping in a new clock crystal?

Is the 33Mhz 68030 upgradeable to the 50Mhz?  Are any of the '030s from
GVP upgradeable to the 50Mhz (by paying some small fee and trading in
your board)?

I was told by GVP, that the ram they use in their 50Mhz board is something
that I would have to buy from them.  Is this so?  I figured it wasn't
because they probably think I just don't wanna deal with any technical
stuff and it would just be easier to buy ram from them.  I'd rather not
be dependant on them for anything involving the future expansion of any
board.  About how much does this ram go for?

Thanks for any information.

Jeff
--
|*These opinions are mine*  This .signature is|...!uiuc.edu!jeffo  (UUCP'ish)|