[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Does GVP offer Ed Discounts? Anyone use their a4000?

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (03/03/91)

       I was wondering if GVP offers any type of Ed Discount Program?
If so, could someone post it?

       Also I'm considering the a4000 over the a2630.. Has anyone out
there used one?  Can someone comment on its  design? Is it stable?
Is it commpatable? etc etc..

                            -Thanks
                              -Tom Nezwek

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/04/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.0873@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>,
patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

> The thing to remember about GVP Accellerators (as far as I
> know) is that they do NOT allow dropping back to the 68000.

Not true. You can use ...

a) a jumper,
b) mode-switch ROMs,
c) the boot68000 utility.

> Also, last I heard, the GVP board could not support UNIX
> properly (something to do with the MMU and memory
> protection) while the CBM boards do). While I *personally*
> don't give a hoot about UNIX, I can see a day when this
> incompatibility may affect AmigaOS.

The 68030 has a built-in MMU, so all GVP-accelerators have
an MMU (as well as Commodore's A2630).

Ralph

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar5.004043.21673@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

> (Well, the A3001, but it is the same design as the A4001,
> just slower).

What the heck is an A4001?

> All GVP '030 boards have UNIX(tm) rom sockets - have since
> day one. I'm not sure if C= intends to use roms anymore
> (26[23]0 had the rom sockets also, I believe), but the GVP
> board has them if *I* need them (Yes, I can't wait to get
> unix up and running on my GVP '030 system).

The A3000UX does _not_ require boot-ROMs to run UNIX ...

Ralph

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/05/91)

>       Also I'm considering the a4000 over the a2630.. Has anyone out
>there used one?  Can someone comment on its  design? Is it stable?
>Is it commpatable? etc etc..

The thing to remember about GVP Accellerators (as far as I know) is that they
do NOT allow dropping back to the 68000. There is supposedly a hack you can
do to put in a physical switch to allow this, but I don't think I'd want to
void my warrenty over it.

Also, last I heard, the GVP board could not support UNIX properly (something
to do with the MMU and memory protection) while the CBM boards do). While I
*personally* don't give a hoot about UNIX, I can see a day when this
incompatibility may affect AmigaOS. Memory protection is RUMOURED to be in
the pipeline for WB2.x (REmember, I DID say _rumoured_). It would be a
terrible shame to go out and spend megabux on an Accellerator only to find
that it won't support future versions of the OS. I'm sure Commodore wouldn't
allow the 26x0 boards become defunct in this fashion. They include the whole
MMU setup with the older 2620's even though they were pretty well useless at
the time.

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/05/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.0873@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:
>>       Also I'm considering the a4000 over the a2630.. Has anyone out
>>there used one?  Can someone comment on its  design? Is it stable?
>>Is it commpatable? etc etc..

Yes, I've used one for over a year (Well, the A3001, but it is the
same design as the A4001, just slower).  As the GVP board is
faster than the C= board, I would go for the speed (I did...).
You can add up to 20MB of memory to the A4001 memory board now,
this is a plus in GVP's favor.  The a2630 is limited to 4MB according
to Dave H. (based upon current designs, etc...).

>The thing to remember about GVP Accellerators (as far as I know) is that they
>do NOT allow dropping back to the 68000. There is supposedly a hack you can
>do to put in a physical switch to allow this, but I don't think I'd want to
>void my warrenty over it.

Quit spreading disinformation.  GVP Accelerators fully support a
drop back (to 68000) mode.  Adding the switch is not a hack, my
dealer added said switch at the same time he installed the board.
Actually *you* can add the switch without voiding your warrenty,
because GVP added `posts' where the end user can attach the leads
of the switch.

>Also, last I heard, the GVP board could not support UNIX properly (something
>to do with the MMU and memory protection) while the CBM boards do). While I
>*personally* don't give a hoot about UNIX, I can see a day when this
>incompatibility may affect AmigaOS. Memory protection is RUMOURED to be in
>the pipeline for WB2.x (REmember, I DID say _rumoured_). It would be a
>terrible shame to go out and spend megabux on an Accellerator only to find
>that it won't support future versions of the OS. I'm sure Commodore wouldn't
>allow the 26x0 boards become defunct in this fashion. They include the whole
>MMU setup with the older 2620's even though they were pretty well useless at
>the time.

Hear again, you talk about things you know nothing about...
The MMU is built into the '030 -and-
All GVP '030 boards have UNIX(tm) rom sockets - have since day one.
I'm not sure if C= intends to use roms anymore (26[23]0 had the
rom sockets also, I believe), but the GVP board has them if *I*
need them (Yes, I can't wait to get unix up and running on my
GVP '030 system).  GVP has quite a few people working on UNIX
device drivers according to some literature recently seen, so
I have reason to believe that they are working on any details
needed to be done to fully support UNIX on their products.

>| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
>| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the

In article <1991Mar5.004043.21673@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

>You can add up to 20MB of memory to the A4001 memory board now,
>this is a plus in GVP's favor.  The a2630 is limited to 4MB according
>to Dave H. (based upon current designs, etc...).

Well, the A2630 is limited to 4MB on-board.  The GVP boards have 0MB on-board,
but do offer an optional daughterboard.  I'm hoping someone will build a
daughterboard for the A2630, which can address up to 64MB additional on such
an add-on.  To date, though, the A2630 limit is 4MB in any practical sense.
Unless you seek into C= and steal the one 16MB board we built as a "proof of
concept" on the A2630 daughterboard capability.

>All GVP '030 boards have UNIX(tm) rom sockets - have since day one.
>I'm not sure if C= intends to use roms anymore

I think the ROM concept is on the way out, though its possible that the GVP
may need them, since GVP may have to provide some kind of low level support
to get UNIX up on their card (I don't know the UNIX software, this is just a
guess).

>Loren J. Rittle

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) (03/06/91)

In article <06333.AA06333@babylon.rmt.sub.org> cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!babylon!rbabel (Ralph Babel) writes:
     The thing to remember about GVP Accellerators is that they do NOT
     allow dropping back to the 68000.
---Not true. You can use ...
---a) a jumper,
---b) mode-switch ROMs,
---c) the boot68000 utility.

     Where can this boot68000 utility be obtained? I don't recall seeing
it on the disk that came with my GVP accelerator? Is it available by
anonymous ftp? I kind of miss Arkanoid.

     I suppose the mode-switch ROMs will support unix as well at some point?

--
 Bob Laughlin  laughlin@cs.sfu.ca

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/06/91)

In article <2240@fornax.UUCP>, laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob
Laughlin) writes:

> Where can this boot68000 utility be obtained? I don't
> recall seeing it on the disk that came with my GVP
> accelerator?

boot68000 will only work on an A3001 PCB rev 7 and later.

Ralph

v089pfrb@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey C Murphy) (03/07/91)

 Well, I just have a few questions...

 1) Which is better to have in the long run, Commodore's accel or GVP's?
 2) Can GVP's board run UNIX? Are there any modifications needed to run it?
 3) Will Commodore support the 50 mhz 030 on an accel card? (This is the GVP
    that I am interested in.)
 4) How soon can we expect the 040 to make it to the market?
 5) How long after that can we expect companies to release a board utilizing
    it? How about Commodore?

 Thanx. Jeff

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/07/91)

Uh, I suppose that I missed it, but look at the title of this thread...

So DOES GVP offer educational discounts???

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                        ~~~---second-hand smoke is THEFT---~~~

milliga@cat4.cs.wisc.edu (Michael Milligan) (03/07/91)

In article <46755@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu writes:
> Uh, I suppose that I missed it, but look at the title of this thread...
>
> So DOES GVP offer educational discounts???
>
>                                                 --Rick Wrigley
>                                                 fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
>                                         ~~~---second-hand smoke is THEFT---~~~

Yes, they do.  However, it has been pointed out to me that ALL of the
educational prices can be beat by carefully shopping mail order.  I believe
this is the reason that most dealers are oblivious to GVP's Educational Policy.

--
"I'm wasted, and I can't shutup!"     |  Michael Milligan, Professional Student
 -- saying on a chars T-shirt from    |   "Nothing I say can or will be used

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/07/91)

GVP does offer educational discounts, but you may have a lot of trouble
finding a dealer who will sell you stuff from GVP's educational program.
You may end up having to go throgh GVP directly (although they claim that
they wont do this.)  The problem with there program is that expect dealers
to sell the eductional stuff out of their own stock to customers, the
eductional prices are often signifigantly less than the dealers normal
price for the product, and GVP gives only a tolken price break to the
dealer (less than $10).  So what that means is that GVP's idea of an
Educational Program is for GVP to make their normal profit off you, and for
the dealer to lose money on your sale!  Why didn't someone think of this
before :-), the outcome is that many dealers refuse to sell product at the
GVP educational program, and many dealers refuse to sell GVP stuff at all.

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA