[net.space] Leap seconds

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:FRIEDRITR%VAXJ.GATNET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (07/31/85)

From: FRIEDRITR%VAXJ.GATNET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

As was pointed out by someone else, the Gregorian calendar is still off by
26 seconds per year, even with the centuries-are-only-leap-years-sometimes
adjustment.  Leap seconds are not to "even out the flaws in the Gregorian
calendar", especially since we have one only every few years (does anyone
know how often, on the average?).  Leap seconds keep our precise 24-hour-
per-day clocks synchronized with the actual rotational period of the Earth,
which exhibits slight variations.

Terry

scott@ubvax.UUCP (Scott Scheiman) (08/05/85)

--
Quite a few years back they came only every few years, at midnight
beginning a new year.  Then a year came when they added a leap second at

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (08/10/85)

In article <287@ubvax.UUCP> scott@ubvax.UUCP (Scott Scheiman) writes:
>Quite a few years back they came only every few years, at midnight
>beginning a new year.  Then a year came when they added a leap second at
>both ends of the year.  This year we had a leap second added
>between June and July (I think).  I don't know why it was added in the
>middle of the year this year, but my guess is that we now have to have
>more than one leap second added per year and adding two on Jan. 1
>(Dec. 31?) would be more disruptive than "smoothing" it out by adding

I believe they have a stated goal of keeping Coordinated Universal Time
within a second of astronomical time -- hence the scattered addition
of leap seconds.  I know that WWV brodcasts a correction, plus or minus
seven tenths of a second or so, to correct CUT to astronomical.
You count the double clicks before or after the minute mark to get the
correction.

P.S., Scott, I like your frog.  "Time's fun when you're having flies."
--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (08/11/85)

It is true that the earth exhibits fluctuations in its rotation phase due
to, among other things, seasonal atmospheric mass shifts, etc.  However, I
think leap seconds are needed mainly because the standard atomic second was
defined to be a little too short compared to the second based on the average
rotation rate of the earth. That's why we almost always seem to have extra
leap (60th) seconds in UTC instead of missing 59th seconds.

Phil