[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need info on ICD's AdSpeed

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar8.061203.14593@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
blf@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Bill Frandsen) writes:

> (I.e. will it _REALLY_ work with everytthing, including
> the Bridgeboard or other DMA devices)

GVP provide a special patch for their Series-II DMA SCSI
controller/driver to clear the AdSpeed cache after a DMA
read operation.

Ralph

blf@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Bill Frandsen) (03/08/91)

Hello.  I previously have had a CMI Processor Accelerator (which is now
owned by DigiFX I believe).  It has a speedup factor of about 10% for most
things, except, or course, its demos that use it's own fpu.library, that
demo multiple times the increase.

Now after seeing the April AmigaWorld, and it's rating of the different
boards it basically said: "The ICD AdSpeed accelerator gives speed
increases of 65-100%, and performs better than any 68020 board w/o
additional ram due to the fact that it employs 2, 16K Caches for both
instructions and data, to speed up writing to fast ram."

Since I think it it is now available at around $209 from a few mail order
houses, I was tempted to get it.  However, I would like to hear what others
have expierenced with it.  (I.e. will it _REALLY_ work with everytthing,
including the Bridgeboard or other DMA devices)  The CMI/DigiFX PA will
not without hardware modifications.  The PA board also would cause the
serial port to lose incomming data once the computer warmed up above 80
degrees or so (room temperature).  Every other character would be lost
at 2400 baud. sometimes much worse.

Thanks for your help.  mail to blf@churchy.ai.mit.edu or post here.