[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need help with Segate ST-138N SCSI hard disk! It won't power up!

harlock@netcom.COM (Mike Harlock) (03/04/91)

     Help!  I turned on the power supply for the drive this morning, and it
won't power up.  The motor on the drive won't spin.   The only thing that
happens is it clicks once or twice and the drive light flashes on and off 7
times.  Is this some sort of error code?

   I need to get this drive running again.  It's very important.  Any help
appreciated.
----harlock@netcom.com

8932836@harpo.cs.su.OZ.AU (Stephen Robert Norris) (03/06/91)

This is a test. Please ignore.

jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) (03/10/91)

In article <26798@netcom.COM> harlock@netcom.COM (Mike Harlock) writes:

>     Help!  I turned on the power supply for the drive this morning, and it
>won't power up.  The motor on the drive won't spin.   The only thing that
>happens is it clicks once or twice and the drive light flashes on and off 7
>times.  Is this some sort of error code?
>
>   I need to get this drive running again.  It's very important.  Any help
>appreciated.

Here is a list of error codes for the 277-N.  Probably not the same, but it
could be a starting place.  Try calling Seagate (you can get their number
by calling 1-800-555-1212).

-----------Cut Here-------------
{comp.sys.amiga.tech}
{Re: Seagate drive and Twilight Zone}

As the hundreds of people whom I've helped with their Seagate drive problems
will attest, I have *NO* respect for Seagate, its products, its (alleged)
technical support, etc.   Just had to post another help response to the
comp.sys.att newsgroup just yesterday ... more dying ST251 that don't spin up.

As usual, Seagate doesn't know its own products' specifications.

From the "Seagate ST277N Product Manual", Seagate publication 36034-001,
Revision B, on pages 2-4 thru 2-5:

Flashes	Problem
-------	------------------------------------------
1	Failure of microprocessor/internal memory

2	Microprocessor ROM checksum failure

3	controller failed to initialize

4	controller program RAM failure

5	data buffer RAM failure

6	failure to attain and/or maintain spindle speed

7	Unable to find record ID mark for any record

8	failure to read operating system from drive

9	operating system read from drive is invalid

Mike, I suggest you toss that drive out the window and over the fence. I'd
invite you here to toss it out my window and over the fence, but I've had
to had the fence repaired thrice during the past 4 years (most recently
just last week at $1,000); yeah, there's a lot of crap software and hardware
I've tossed out the window and behind that fence since 1985 as several other
readers of this newsgroup will attest; that pile of crap includes ten ST251
drives from, Guess Who?, Seagate.

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]
-----------Cut Here-------------

Sean
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo

hothead@hotcity.UUCP (Randy Norton) (03/11/91)

welp harlock

looks like your drive has seized, but you can try a couple things one is a
lite tap on it while is just being turned on as it sounds like the heads are
stuck in park position. you can take it to Frys and ask them to do a
diognostics, just tell them you boought it from them not too long ago and they
generally will do it for free. hope this helps.
hothead

hothead@netcom.com!hotcity