[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Modems won't connect!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/11/91)

I've tried many combinations of Hayes commands to get my Amiga to
connect to my other computer for transferring files.  The manual
for my Amiga's modem (a Supra 2400zi) says on page 27 that the
Hayes command AT X3 D should cause my Amiga to originate a call
while using ATA as answer on the other modem.  ATA works fine on
the other computer, but AT X3 D causes my Ami to just sit there.
Any ideas?   Thanks in advance!  :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/11/91)

In article <91069.164621JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I've tried many combinations of Hayes commands to get my Amiga to
>connect to my other computer for transferring files.  The manual
>for my Amiga's modem (a Supra 2400zi) says on page 27 that the
>Hayes command AT X3 D should cause my Amiga to originate a call
>while using ATA as answer on the other modem.  ATA works fine on
>the other computer, but AT X3 D causes my Ami to just sit there.
>Any ideas?   Thanks in advance!  :-)

Well, I've successfully connected my Amiga to my C128 in the following
manner:

	I got a modular wall socket with two plugs, and interconnected
	the plugs thusly:

	red ------ 9V ------ red (ie, connect these through a 9V battery)
        yellow ---------- yellow the rest are direct connect.
	green ------------ green
	black ------------ black

Plug the phone lines from each computer's modem into this connector.

Now, fire up term-programs on both terminals.  On one (the "originating"
computer), type "atx3".  According to my modem manual, this should turn on
"blind dial" mode (assuming you have a Hayes compatable).

Now, type "atd".  Your modem should now send out its carrier detect signal.
On the other computer, type "ata", and the computers should connect.

If this describes what you've done, the only thing I can suggest is perhaps
your modem can't handle multiple commands on the same line.

Disclaimer: the reader takes on all responsibility for any damages implementing
this procedure causes.  The only claim I make is that this is a reasonably
accurate description of what I've done, and that it worked for me.--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (03/11/91)

Hayes compatible dialing commands

AT   ---- begins any modem command
  A   --- Answer incoming call
  D   --- Dial command
   P   -- Pulse (rotary) dialing
   R   -- Reverse (dial and go into answer mode)
   T   -- Tone (touch-tone) dialing
   W   -- Wait for dial-tone
   @   -- Wait for quiet line
   ,   -- Pause
   ;   -- Return for next command after dialing
   !   -- Flash hook switch
   0-9 -- Dial a digit
   ()- -- Do nothing (no effect)
  H   --- Hook switch control
   0   -- On-hook (hang up phone)
   1   -- Off-hool (pick up phone)
  L   --- Speaker level
   0-3 -- Volume for speaker (0==Low,3=High)
  X   --- Extended Options
   0   -- Basic; dial w/o dialtone, don't recognize busy, no speed
   1   -- As above, but gives speed info at connect (ex: CONNECT 1200)
   2   -- As #1 above, but wait for dialtone before dialing
   3   -- As #1 above, but detect busy signal
   4   -- All Features; wait for dialtone, detect busy, give speed
  Z   --- Reset to power-on defaults
A/   ---- Repeat last command

String the command letters together to make it do what you want:

To dial out:

ATZ             Resets modem
ATDT5551212     Dial (touch-tone) the number 555-1212
ATX4DT7654321   Setup to wait for dialtone before dialing, detect a
                busy signal, and give speed info.  Then dial 765-43231
ATA             Answer the phone (and try to connect)

Wildstar