[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] RAM Information

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (03/10/91)

What is the difference between Dynamic RAM and Static RAM?

CSA's Mega-Midget Racer uses both DRAM and SRAM, why is the SRAM
faster than DRAM? I assume that the DRAM is faster than standard
faster RAM.

Does anyone happen to know the size of the A500's motherboard?

Thanks for answering these questions! :)

Lyle

:) :( :> :< :] :[ ;) :| :? :} :{ :* :^) :^( :+ :-) :\ :/ :! :$ :' :@ :O :# :<>
         l  c  s  @  r  e  m  u  s  .  r  u  t  g  e  r  s  .  e  d  u

Everything stated or expressed in this post is strictly my opinion or viewpoint

In article <Mar.9.17.47.20.1991.24499@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

>What is the difference between Dynamic RAM and Static RAM?

Dynamic RAM is generally pretty dense memory.  Each memory cell is composed of
a single transistor and capacitor.  Because charge gradually bleeds from the
capacitor, Dynamic RAMs must be peridically "refreshed".  Typically, addressing
a DRAM is a two-step process.  To increase density, the memory device uses a
multiplexed address.  First, a memory controller sends 1/2 the address, termed
the "row" address.  With that safely latched in place, the memory controller
sends the "column" address, and the memory can then address that single
location.

Static RAM is generally pretty fast memory.  Each memory cell is composed of
several transistors, essentially one flip-flip per cell.  This makes an SRAM
much larger than a DRAM, but eliminates any need for refresh and any sense in
a multiplexed addressing scheme.  So the memory controller sends out a single
address, and the SRAM responds by fetching or storing that addressed location.

There's alot more to it than that, but typically, DRAM systems are slower and
more complex than SRAM systems.  They're also much larger per unit cost.

>CSA's Mega-Midget Racer uses both DRAM and SRAM, why is the SRAM
>faster than DRAM?

Because it should be.

>I assume that the DRAM is faster than standard faster RAM.

That sentence doesn't make any sense.  There is no such thing as "standard
faster RAM".  In most microcomputer systems today, some kind DRAM is used.
SRAM is typically only used for cache memories or other small, time critical
needs.

>Lyle
	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett