[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Interaction between GVP series II + 8 and Commodore 2090

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/08/91)

In article <19645@cbmvax.commodore.com>,
daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> In article <12512@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> (J. Brian Waters) writes:
>
>> The GVP fails though on the memory test and gets every
>> other byte in the word wrong (high byte fails,  low byte
>> ok, then high byte ok,  low byte fails).

Just curious: How can you get the machine up and running to
perform this memory test if 50% of your Fast memory is bad
or at least doesn't work properly with the A2090 installed?
Is it only the memory test that fails or are there any real
problems? Did you perform this test on a different A2000 or
maybe also with a different memory test utility?

>> The GVP card works fine when I have the 2090 pulled out
>> of the machine though.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>
> I certainly hope not.

Currently, I have both a GVP Series-II and an A2090 in my
machine, and I've never seen this type of problem.

>> Should I be worried that the GVP card will interfere with
>> other cards in the future.  Is the 2090 messed up?
>
> Strange thing is, since Jeff Boyer, the A2090's designer,
> now works for GVP, there's a good chance both cards were
> designed by the same guy.  So in either case, it sounds
> like a Jeff Boyer question to me l^)

:-)

Not bad! :-)

It could also be a problem with the A2000's motherboard, of course. :-)

>> Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters
>
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

Ralph

jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) (03/08/91)

After running with a st506 drive and a 2090 for a couple of years I needed
to add more storage.  I wound up with an 80 Meg SCSI drive and quickly ran
into problems with the 2090 controller and overscan etc.  I decided to go ahead
and get a new controller and bought the GVP card.  I was hoping to borrow a
drive and have both controllers in the machine while I copy files from the
drives attached to the 2090 to the GVP then pull the 2090 out.

Right now I have a 8-up DIP board with 2 megs installed as well.  I have 8
megs of SIMMS on the GVP card and pulled out the 8-up and installed the
GVP card.  The GVP fails though on the memory test and gets every other byte in
the word wrong (high byte fails,  low byte ok,  then high byte ok,  low byte
fails).  The GVP card works fine when I have the 2090 pulled out of the machine
though.

Is this normal?  Should I be worried that the GVP card will interfere with
other cards in the future.  Is the 2090 messed up?

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

In article <12512@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) writes:

>Right now I have a 8-up DIP board with 2 megs installed as well.  I have 8
>megs of SIMMS on the GVP card and pulled out the 8-up and installed the
>GVP card.

You definitely can't have an 8 Meg RAM card and a 2 Meg RAM card in the system
at the same time, you'll run out of autoconfiguration space.

>The GVP fails though on the memory test and gets every other byte in
>the word wrong (high byte fails,  low byte ok,  then high byte ok,  low byte
>fails).  The GVP card works fine when I have the 2090 pulled out of the machine
>though.

>Is this normal?

I certainly hope not.  I have run A2052s, A2058s, 8-UPs, A2090as, A2091, and
Hardframes all in various combinations together, in the process of bringing
up the A3000, and they all play together fine.  If the GVP doesn't work with
the A2090, I would suspect there's a problem with the GVP.  That doesn't mean
there couldn't instead be a problem with the A2090, but since it has worked
(as well as A2090s work) fines for you so far, that seems like a rather slim
chance.  The A2090 does have it's problems with the system, but its bus
timing is generally very good and quiet.

>Should I be worried that the GVP card will interfere with other cards in the
>future.

I would be concerned about it.  Perhaps GVP knows what's happening here.
Strange thing is, since Jeff Boyer, the A2090's designer, now works for GVP,
there's a good chance both cards were designed by the same guy.  So in either
case, it sounds like a Jeff Boyer question to me l^)

>Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche) (03/10/91)

In article <12512@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) writes:

>Right now I have a 8-up DIP board with 2 megs installed as well.  I have 8
>megs of SIMMS on the GVP card and pulled out the 8-up and installed the
>GVP card.  The GVP fails though on the memory test and gets every other byte in
>the word wrong (high byte fails,  low byte ok,  then high byte ok,  low byte
>fails).  The GVP card works fine when I have the 2090 pulled out of the machine
>though.
>
>Is this normal?  Should I be worried that the GVP card will interfere with
>other cards in the future.  Is the 2090 messed up?

I had for some time a 2090a and a GVP Series II in my a2000 and everything
was running smoothly (with 2 megs on the GVP card).  I didn't have a
drive installed on the GVP at that time though.  I had a different problem
with the bridgeboard with this setup:

   The bridgeboard would boot only if the card was inserted between
   the 2090a and the GVP card.

>Brian Waters		   <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

--
 Stephane Laroche   | Email: stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG
 +1 514 277-8605    |	     Montreal, Que.,  Canada

jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) (03/11/91)

From: daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie)
In article <12512@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) writes:

>>Right now I have a 8-up DIP board with 2 megs installed as well.  I have 8
>>megs of SIMMS on the GVP card and pulled out the 8-up and installed the
>>GVP card.

>You definitely can't have an 8 Meg RAM card and a 2 Meg RAM card in the system
>at the same time, you'll run out of autoconfiguration space.

Right...  I pulled the 2 meg board when I put in the GVP card,  just wanted
to establish that the 2090 worked with another memory board just fine.

>up the A3000, and they all play together fine.  If the GVP doesn't work with
>the A2090, I would suspect there's a problem with the GVP.  That doesn't mean

Right... I am having more problems with the GVP see the end of the message.
----

From: stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche)
>I had for some time a 2090a and a GVP Series II in my a2000 and everything
>was running smoothly (with 2 megs on the GVP card).  I didn't have a
>drive installed on the GVP at that time though.  I had a different problem

Ok...  thanks...  I did not have a drive attached to the GVP card yet at the
point myself.  I am begining to think I happened to get a bad card.

From: rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel)
In article <19645@cbmvax.commodore.com>,
daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> In article <12512@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> (J. Brian Waters) writes:
>
>> The GVP fails though on the memory test and gets every
>> other byte in the word wrong (high byte fails,  low byte
>> ok, then high byte ok,  low byte fails).

>Just curious: How can you get the machine up and running to
>perform this memory test if 50% of your Fast memory is bad
>or at least doesn't work properly with the A2090 installed?
>Is it only the memory test that fails or are there any real
>problems? Did you perform this test on a different A2000 or
>maybe also with a different memory test utility?

Um... actualy since a byte of each word is bad all the memory on the GVP is
unusable,  and causes problems if any program tries to use it.  I was able
to run the memory test by not running fastmemfirst and running it out of
$C00....  ram as I have a 512k chip machine.

----

Ok.... part two of this problem... and now I really do think I have a good
chance of having a bad GVP card.  I am waiting for a return call from GVP
at the moment even.

I hooked up an installed a fixed 80 Meg HD to the GVP card with no problems.
I then tried to use a Sony SMO-D501 and experienced no end of problems which
kept locking up the machine.  A friend then brought over a Trumpcard to which
we were able to hook the drive up to with no problem.  We could not have the GVP
in the machine at the same time as the Trumpcard though as they were not both
configured for some reason.  So now the GVP has had problems coexisting with
the 2090 and the Trumpcard.  Has anyone been able to hook up a Sony
SMO-D501 with the C501 SCSI controller (for the drive) to a GVP SCSI
controller?

Just got a call from GVP!  Nice and quick.  They said to try setting a jumper
on the card to 'correct' for a resister on the old 2000 MB I have.  Will try it
when I get home and keep my fingers crossed!

jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) (03/12/91)

> Just got a call from GVP!  Nice and quick.  They said to try setting a jumper
> on the card to 'correct' for a resister on the old 2000 MB I have.  Will try it
> when I get home and keep my fingers crossed!

Setting this jumper did not work.  GVP tech support says that they have never
tested the controller with the Sony smo-c501 so they do not support it.  They
do support the Ricoh they say.  Looks like I might have to scrap this controller
and get one that supports the Sony.  Anyone know which controllers suport
the Sony smo-c501 magneto optical drive?

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters