[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Updating the A2000

James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) (02/22/91)

I've got an A2000, bought around 1987, no idea what revision the motherboard
might be...

I've taken this to my dealer to get the new Agnus & Denise chips installed,
but was told that the motherboard wouldn't accept them - it was too
old (wrong version *8(   )
Question 1. Can I use the A1000 update options to update my computer
without a motherboard swap?

Question 2. If I do swap the motherboard, could I use an XT case/power
supply to set up a file server using the old board?

yours in anticipa...............tion,
James.

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb21.223614.8025@kcbbs>, James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) writes:
> I've got an A2000, bought around 1987, no idea what revision the motherboard
> might be...
>
> I've taken this to my dealer to get the new Agnus & Denise chips installed,
> but was told that the motherboard wouldn't accept them - it was too
> old (wrong version *8(   )

 This does not seem right to me. I have installed at least 30 of the newer, one
meg Agnus into Amiga 2000s and have never had any problems. There is only one
Amiga revision motherboard which might have some problems. By problems I mean
that it would be difficult but not impossible.

 On all the Amiga 2000s I installed with the newer Agnus I simply had to cut a
jumper (trace pads on motherboard) and moved a jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3.

 In a difficult case the jumpers might not be there so I would have to cut a
trace (or two) on the motherboard and jumper somethings around. I know that on
the Amiga 500s there is some jumper/traces which are equivalent to the jumper
pins 1-2-3 on the Amiga 2000 but on some of the original 500s there was no
jumpers at all. In these cases I had to cut a trace coming from the Agnus
socket and then jumper that to another point on the motherboard.

 I would check with some other dealers/service centres in your area (if you
have that option).

> yours in anticipa...............tion,
> James.

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (02/28/91)

In a message posted on 24 Feb 91 01:24:11 GMT,
darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) wrote:
DG>In article <1991Feb21.223614.8025@kcbbs>, James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) writes:
DG>> I've got an A2000, bought around 1987, no idea what revision the motherboard
DG>> might be...
DG>>
DG>> I've taken this to my dealer to get the new Agnus & Denise chips installed,
DG>> but was told that the motherboard wouldn't accept them - it was too
DG>> old (wrong version *8(   )
DG>
DG> This does not seem right to me. I have installed at least 30 of the newer, one

There is, of course, one possibility, and that is that it is a German motherboard,
and not the north american one.  In this case, the new 1M (Or any FAT agnus
for that matter) would not fit.  And, as we know, the new Denise will not
work without the new Agnus, so basically the prospects are impossible.

  2.0 will work fine on this system, though.. You just will not be able to use
the new Agnus, or the new Denise.

DG>----------------------------------------------------------------------
DG>| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
DG>| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
DG>|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
DG>|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
DG>|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |
DG>----------------------------------------------------------------------

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca

In article <1991Feb24.012411.5780@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
>In article <1991Feb21.223614.8025@kcbbs>, James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) writes:
>> I've got an A2000, bought around 1987, no idea what revision the motherboard
>> might be...

>> I've taken this to my dealer to get the new Agnus & Denise chips installed,
>> but was told that the motherboard wouldn't accept them - it was too
>> old (wrong version *8(   )

> This does not seem right to me. I have installed at least 30 of the newer, one
>meg Agnus into Amiga 2000s and have never had any problems.

It depends on the board.  All of the A2000b boards, from the dealer demo units
(Rev 3.9) on up to current production (Rev 6-something) support the ECS chips
and the 512K ROM.

The A2000a board, however, doesn't support the ECS chips, and may require a
jumper added for 512K ROM support (I'm not sure on this one).  The "a" board
is the four layer board designed in Germany, the "b" board is the two layer
board designed here in West Chester.  No "a" boards were shipped in the USA,
since they didn't pass FCC regulations, but they did ship in Europe, Canada,
and possibly in the Pacific.  These can easily be identified by looking at
the back of the computer -- the "a" systems have two RCA jacks, the "b"
systems have three (the extra one is the monochrome composite video output).

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) (03/12/91)

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I definetily (?) had a German A2000,
but I was able to contact the NZ Commodore branch who arranged a swap
for a resonable price. They currently have a problem getting my A2090
HD controller and Seagate ST-506 style drive to restart, but I **HOPE**
they can fix that soon.

James