[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] RGB Encoder

bruce_martin@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Bruce Martin) (03/09/91)

Greetings, I'm looking for a cheap (ie around $300 Canadian or US) RGB to
composite/S-VHS encoder. I don't need a genlock yet. All I need is a clean
video out (amiga RGB to S-VHS). Anybody have any leads into this? Every model
I've seen so far is loaded with bells and whistles than jack up the price
into the $1000 dollar range. Please post some address's or company names, I'm
in desperate need!!!!! (and frightfully ignorant to boot...)

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/09/91)

In article <bruce_martin.1357@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> bruce_martin@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Bruce Martin) writes:
>Greetings, I'm looking for a cheap (ie around $300 Canadian or US) RGB to
>composite/S-VHS encoder. I don't need a genlock yet. All I need is a clean
>video out (amiga RGB to S-VHS). Anybody have any leads into this? Every model
>I've seen so far is loaded with bells and whistles than jack up the price
>into the $1000 dollar range. Please post some address's or company names, I'm
>in desperate need!!!!! (and frightfully ignorant to boot...)
Check out the NEC SVC-10.  It has analog RGB input/output and S-video input/
output and audio in/out.  It has been a while since I used it, but I think it
does not do the S-video to RGB conversion, just the others plus loop-throughs.
I use it to record animations/graphics onto S-VHS and also drive a second
"living room 25" Sony RGB TV/monitor" looks great!
  If I remember correctly, I think it sold for around $150.  Not bad!

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu

billc@cryo.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) (03/11/91)

In article <bruce_martin.1357@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>
 bruce_martin@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Bruce Martin) writes:
>Greetings, I'm looking for a cheap (ie around $300 Canadian or US) RGB to
>composite/S-VHS encoder. I don't need a genlock yet. All I need is a clean
>video out (amiga RGB to S-VHS). Anybody have any leads into this? Every
>model I've seen so far is loaded with bells and whistles than jack up the
>price into the $1000 dollar range. Please post some address's or company
>names, I'm in desperate need!!!!! (and frightfully ignorant to boot...)

A good, inexpensive encoder (~$100US) is the VIP Video Interface from
DigiFeX (503) 656-8818.  Composite, Chroma/Luma, S-VHS, and has an RGB
monitor buffered passthru.

--
  +------+ William J. Coldwell  Amiga Attitude Adjuster  Cryogenic Software
 /|     /| PLink: CRYO, BIX: wjcoldwell, UUCP:...tektronix!percy!cryo!billc
| +----|-+   // Sometimes you gotta be cool to be hot:  I'm a 3-DPro Tracer.
|/     |/  \X/  Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga Amiga
+------+   STD_DSCLMR "All opinions above are mine, and you can't have them."

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (03/12/91)

Greetings,

  I have a real cheap encoder by Creative MircoSystems.  It has composite out
and luma and chroma.  (Unfortunately the luma and chroma signals are coming
out of RCA connectors).  My question, to answer you question is...
Is it possible to make a Y/C connector out of these two luma and chroma
connectors easily?  (Since that is what essentially the the Y/C connector
does) or do you have to sync the two signals with something.  Otherwise
the cost is $150.00 canadian currency.

Derek Lang<<<<<          |
ACPS1072@RYERSON         |  Ps.  I think the company, Creative Microsystems
Toronto, ON              |       went under a while ago.
Canada                   |