[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCSI tape backup

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (03/08/91)

I currently have an Amiga 500 with a GVP SCSI interface and 40 Mb drive,
and I also have an IBM XT clone that will soon have a SCSI interface
and approximately 210 Mb of disk space (160 Mb SCSI, the rest in two
internal drives).  Since both machines will have SCSI, I may want to
get a SCSI tape drive that can be shared between the two machines for
backups.  I would attach the tape drive to whichever machine needs
backing up at any particular time.

Questions:

  1. Any recommendations on cheap but reliable tape drives that would
     work on both machines?  I don't know what "cheap" means at this
     point, since I'm just now beginning to consider the options.

  2. What additional driver software, if any, do I need on the Amiga to
     do this?  I would like it to work with Quarterback, as that's what
     I use now for backing up to floppies.

  3. Same for the XT.  I currently use the backup program in PC Tools
     Deluxe for backing up to floppies.  The XT is running DOS 3.3.

I am also considering replacing the Amiga 500 with an Amiga 3000 someday,
so whatever I choose should work with the A3000 internal SCSI.  In fact,
it's possible that I'll get the A3000 before I get a tape drive.  I don't
really need or want UNIX on the Amiga, so the A3000UX is not a prime
consideration.

Thanks!
--
-- Alan Bland
-- att!druwy!mab == mab@druwy.ATT.COM

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/10/91)

In article <7762@drutx.ATT.COM>, mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan
Bland) writes:

> 2. What additional driver software, if any, do I need on
>    the Amiga to do this?  I would like it to work with
>    Quarterback, as that's what I use now for backing up to
>    floppies.

As far as I remember, Quarterback requires a direct-access
device as its backup-medium, so a normal tape streamer can't
be used. I'd recommend something like "tar" in conjunction
with a TAPE: handler, HDBackup/BRU, or maybe TapeStore. All
of these should also work with the A3000's internal SCSI.

Ralph

jita@utu.fi (Marko Katajisto) (03/11/91)

On 9 Mar 91 22:46:18 GMT,
rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) said:

> As far as I remember, Quarterback requires a direct-access
> device as its backup-medium, so a normal tape streamer can't
> be used. I'd recommend something like "tar" in conjunction
> with a TAPE: handler, HDBackup/BRU, or maybe TapeStore. All
> of these should also work with the A3000's internal SCSI.

Yes, current version of Quarterback does'n support tape streamers, I wonder
if they are planning to do such upgrade, as an owner of a copy I hope so...
Meanwhile I must get along with tape-handler and I'm very interested in
getting the newest version of it since I've had some serious problems with
it. Any ideas where I can ftp it or something, I've looked at ab20 and didn't
find anything apropriate...? Did somebody mention here that one can get a
copy of BRU by contacting Commodore or am I just dreaming? Does BRU work with
various device drivers or just with those from C=...? I'd be happy of any
help or info about tape drives, I've used tar and tape-handler and I get too
many I/O-errors while trying to read/write tapes... ;(
My current system is A2000/A2620 4MB and Microbotics HardFrame + Tandberg SCSI
tape drive, which eats DC6150 and DC6250 cartridges...

--
Jita - Marko Katajisto    University of Turku  Department of Computer Science
   jita@utu.fi  jita@nic.funet.fi  jita@firien.bitnet  Tel: +358 21 325910

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (03/12/91)

In article <JITA.91Mar11165858@polaris.utu.fi> jita@utu.fi (Marko Katajisto) writes:
>many I/O-errors while trying to read/write tapes... ;(
>My current system is A2000/A2620 4MB and Microbotics HardFrame + Tandberg SCSI
>tape drive, which eats DC6150 and DC6250 cartridges...

Hmm.  I think one problem with tape-handler (I use btntape) is that it does not
pass Flags to the scsi device, and  I need to turn on r/w handshaking in order
to get my trumpcard and MCD40 tape drive to work when my Lucas board is on.