[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Problem with ASDG memory in A2000 w/ A2090A

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George Withers) (03/12/91)

I recently purchased an ASDG/Micron 2Mb memory board and
installed it in my A2000 (old Agnus, rev 4.4 motherboard, A2090A
SCSI controller).  It procededed to trash a partition of my drive
when it was accessed even though the memory was there according
to AVAIL.

I was told by someone that the same thing happened to them on
a Rev 4.3 motherboard and that they had to do the "pull-up U605"
fix given in "The Flake Report".  When I told them I had the faster
U605/U602 buffer chips (74ALSmumble) they said that should have
fixed it.

So, can someone give me an idea of what I can do?  The person who
had the problem before says it happened consistently to him on
DMA's from memory to disk.  That would jibe with what I was doing
as it crashed running PasTeX, where PasTeX was reconfigured to
be using large amounts of memory.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

George

 George Withers, Jr.                      | "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 97 Piper Road   |  with pure imagination.  Living
 Acton, MA   01720   AT&T: 508.264.2339   |  there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com        |  truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka
      DISCLAIMER: "Don't look at me!  I didn't do it!" (Krusty the Clown)

In article <21002@shlump.nac.dec.com> withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George Withers) writes:

>I recently purchased an ASDG/Micron 2Mb memory board [which] procededed to
>trash a partition of my drive when it was accessed even though the memory was
>there according to AVAIL.

>I was told by someone that the same thing happened to them on a Rev 4.3
>motherboard and that they had to do the "pull-up U605"

>So, can someone give me an idea of what I can do?  The person who had the
>problem before says it happened consistently to him on DMA's from memory to
>disk.

The mentioned "U605 pullup" does cure one potential problem that relates to
DMA activity.  The A2000 bus uses several pullup resistors to hold the bus in
a quiescent state during a bus handoff (one master gets off, then the next one
gets on).  The problem is that, in conjunction with on brand of 74ALS245, we
have seen that the BAS* (Bus Address Strobe) line sometimes takes too long to
get pulled up by the supplied pullups on Rev 4.4 and earlier A2000s.  The only
problem we have recorded at Commodore in relation to this is in conjunction
with DMA to coprocessor card memory.  The A2630, for example, has a much faster
memory system than a typical Amiga device.  After a bus handoff, it can get
back on the bus and see the slowly rising BAS* as logically asserted just long
enough to start a memory cycle.  Traditional 7MHz devices like Chip RAM and
most memory cards don't get into a memory cycle soon enough for this to be a
problem, even on those systems which fully exhibit the problem.  It certainly
is not impossible for a Zorro II memory card to be sensitive to this problem,
however, and wouldn't be saying anything bad about that card, it's just very
unlikely.

The fix is simple.  It requires the addition of a 1K pullup resistor between
pins 11 and 20 of U605, which is a 74ALS245 chip found in-between the
Coprocessor and first Zorro II slot on the A2000.  There's no reason to have
this fix done if you're not having a problem -- as I mentioned, it has to date
only been observed with one brand of ALS245.  On the other hand, there's no
reason not to do it if it'll make you feel better, or if there's a problem that
might be related to this, since it's a perfectly acceptible fix, and became
part of standard production on all A2000s as of Rev 4.5.

> George Withers, Jr.                      | "There is no life I know to compare

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett