[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Wanted: Amiga 1000 power supply and what is the "tick" line???

ammrk@swpyr2.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (03/12/91)

Wanted: Amiga 1000 power supply.  Also,  what is the "tick" line coming out
of the A1000's power supply?  There is +5, +12, Gnds, and "tick".  What is
the "tick"?

Please leave E-Mail or call 314-235-8012.

										  Thanks, Mike...
  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations Mechanization - SWBT - Finance Department
  One Bell Center - 30-D-06 - St. Louis, Mo. 63101        PHONE: 314-235-8012
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swpyr2.sbc.com!ammrk

dvsg0223@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Salamon) (03/13/91)

ammrk@swpyr2.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:

>Wanted: Amiga 1000 power supply.  Also,  what is the "tick" line coming out
>of the A1000's power supply?  There is +5, +12, Gnds, and "tick".  What is
>the "tick"?

The "tick" signal is a TTL square wave signal at 60 Hz, synchronized with the
AC power line.  The A1000 power supply uses an optoisolator and some diodes
and RC components to pull this signal directly from the AC 120V line (in the
US and Japan that is).  I'm not sure what this signal is used for on the
motherboard, but I'm told by my dealer that the machine will not run without
it.

My dealer also mentioned that many PC/Clone power supplies also supply this
signal.

David

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar13.003325.1993@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dvsg0223@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Salamon) writes:
>ammrk@swpyr2.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>
>>Wanted: Amiga 1000 power supply.  Also,  what is the "tick" line coming out
>>of the A1000's power supply?  There is +5, +12, Gnds, and "tick".  What is
>>the "tick"?
>
>The "tick" signal is a TTL square wave signal at 60 Hz, synchronized with the
>AC power line.  The A1000 power supply uses an optoisolator and some diodes
>and RC components to pull this signal directly from the AC 120V line (in the
>US and Japan that is).  I'm not sure what this signal is used for on the
>motherboard, but I'm told by my dealer that the machine will not run without
>it.
>
>My dealer also mentioned that many PC/Clone power supplies also supply this
>signal.

I doubt it.

The lines coming out of a PC/Clone supply are :
+5
-5
+12
-12
and "power good"

--
Dennis Lou           || "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu        || "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"