[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Mac HD > Ami SCSI

gt2038a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt2038a gt2038a BROWNING,CHRIS SHERMAN) (03/13/91)

   What kind of modifications have to be made to a Mac external drive to use it
with an Amiga.  I figure that the cable is probably the main problem.  If so
could someone please send me the pinouts needed to make a cable.  I am
Trying to get a 105meg Quantum from Warehouse 54  (external) for 399 to use
with my Amiga 2000.  I have a 2090a HD controller and NO drive bays.  If
Someone knows of a way to mount an internal drive inside,  Please let me
know.   Thanx in advance
                                          ChRiS BrOwNiNg

weindlin@motcid.UUCP (Mark L. Weindling) (03/15/91)

gt2038a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt2038a gt2038a BROWNING,CHRIS SHERMAN) writes:

>   What kind of modifications have to be made to a Mac external drive to use it
>with an Amiga.  I figure that the cable is probably the main problem.  If so
>could someone please send me the pinouts needed to make a cable.  I am
>Trying to get a 105meg Quantum from Warehouse 54  (external) for 399 to use
>with my Amiga 2000.  I have a 2090a HD controller and NO drive bays.  If
>Someone knows of a way to mount an internal drive inside,  Please let me
>know.   Thanx in advance

I recently (about two weeks ago) purchased a Mac external hard drive from
Alliance Periperal Systems, out of Independance, MO.  Plugged it in, and
away it went.  (Well, there were some problems of my own making, but that
was the end result...)  Note, however, that I have an A2091, not a 2090.
APS' cable was just perfect for the Amiga; I assume (perhaps wrongly) that
any standard Mac cable would work just as well.

The problem which I had was that I broke two pins off of what looked like
a decoupling capacitor with three pins, located at the top end of the
A2091 near the DB25 external SCSI connector.  I did this a while ago,
when installing memory, and the system continued to operate without any
problems.  As a result, I dismissed the part as a strange sort of
decoupling capacitor (as mentioned above).  Well, when I plugged in the
external drive, the system wouldn't recognize it.  I swapped my internal
P40S with the P105S, and the 40 meg wasn't seen, but the 105 worked just
fine.  After many hours of hair-pulling, I finally remembered the broken
part, which I resoldered to the board.  No problems after that...

In short, I assume that the cable should work (I am also making the
unsupport assumption that the 2090 pinout is the same as that of the
2091...), and that your problem lies elsewhere.

				Good luck,
				  -Mark W.
--
Mark L. Weindling        | Motorola, Inc., United States Digital Cellular