[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Why is my 3000 slow?

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar15.000705.23258@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) writes:

>The speed rating of the RAM chips has nothing to do with how
>fast the computer accesses them. The computers design decides
>how fast it will access memory, so the chips you put in need to
>be at least that fast.
>
>Why is your chip mem slow? You probly have either a deep screen, say
>8 or 16 colors, or an overscanned screen. Set you display to be
>640x400 4 colors, then run your tests.
>
>Why can't you get >1Meg/sec xfer rates? Your hard disk isn't expensive
>enough :-)

I have a Quantum LP52S and a Quantum 105S and I still can't get rates
that high.  I get rates of ~650k/s on the LP52 and about 400k/s on
the 105.  I have tried everything.  The drives are formatted ffs. I
set the mask using advanced options in HDToolBox for the 105S.  It was
originally set to '0x7ffffffe' by the auto read parameters when I formatted
it.  I changed it to '0x7ffffffc' to be the same as the parameters on the
52S which came with my drive.  This made access a bit faster, but not much.

What could the problem be?  Is it the format or the filesystem or the mask
or something that I still haven't considered?  Please email any suggestion,
tips, etc. to vrr@cbnewsj.att.com.  For those of you with the original
LP52S in the A3000, what are your transfer rates (use DPerf2 or Diskspeed)

Thanks very much,
Veenu

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com