[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] ICD-Novia 20i: new HD

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (03/12/91)

Well I got my new copy of Amiga World (april issue) this morning.  I was
flipping thru the usual articles when something caught my eye.  ICD has an
advertisement for a new Hard Drive for the Amiga 500.  Apparently this 20
meg drive is so small that it actually mounts completely inside the Amiga
500.  There is no mention of price and little statement of features.  If
this drive is fairly standard and affordable then i am interested.  Does the
SCSI pass thru ?  Any information on this drive would be greatly
appreciated.

     __
    |__) _   __  GEnie:  R.EARL4
    | \ (_) (_/   UUCP:  roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca
            _/

tsarna@pooh (Tyler Sarna) (03/14/91)

In article <roger_earl.1709@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> of
comp.sys.amiga.hardware, Roger Earl
<roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> wrote:

> flipping thru the usual articles when something caught my eye.  ICD has an
> advertisement for a new Hard Drive for the Amiga 500.  Apparently this 20
> meg drive is so small that it actually mounts completely inside the Amiga
> 500.  There is no mention of price and little statement of features.  If

Yes, I think it's a 2.5" drive. Anyone know if this would fit in
an A1000 with a Rejuvenator? I've got a friend who's interested.

> this drive is fairly standard and affordable then i am interested.  Does the
> SCSI pass thru ?  Any information on this drive would be greatly

No, SCSI does not pass throught - it's not a SCSI drive, it's an
IDE drive connected to ICD's AdIDE. AdIDE does support
autobooting, Amax-II partitions, etc.

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any relationship with ICD, not even as
a customer. Simulated wood grain. Void where prohibited. Not the
Beatles. Get your parent's permission before you call.

------///------------------------------------------------------------
     /// Tyler "Ty" Sarna            E-Mail: tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu
 \\\///  "Welcome to the Late Show/Starring Null and Void" - Men@Work
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

cullip@sargent.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (03/14/91)

In article <roger_earl.1709@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> of
comp.sys.amiga.hardware, Roger Earl
<roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> wrote:

> flipping thru the usual articles when something caught my eye.  ICD has an
> advertisement for a new Hard Drive for the Amiga 500.  Apparently this 20
> meg drive is so small that it actually mounts completely inside the Amiga
> 500.  There is no mention of price and little statement of features.  If

This is actually two products.  The controller is their new AdIDE which
is an IDE (as in IBM AT type) controller for IDE drives.  The controller
plugs into the 68000 socket and the 68000 plugs into the controller
boards socket.  The Novia 20i is the AdIDE controller packaged with
a 2.5" 20 Mbyte drive.

I called ICD and asked a few questions (I was interested in the AdIDE
rather than the Novia 20i, but I asked about the drive anyways).  They
say it is capable of 450 Kbytes/sec on diskperf.  The two together cost
either $600 or $699 (I forget exact amount).  The nice thing is that the
controller itself can be had mail order for around $115, and you can
find lots of reasonably priced 3.5" IDE drives if you look through
Computer Shopper.  You could easily put together a 40 Mbyte Quantum
Prodrive (IDE version, not SCSI) and this controller for < $400.  It
wouldn't fit internal to the A500, but it's a lot cheaper than the 2.5"
drive combination.

It is a autobooting controller.

It's not SCSI so you can't chain 7 devices together, but IDE does allow
two drives to be daisy chained (I don't know if the AdIDE supports this).

They also say the controller is compatible with their AdSpeed 16 MHz
68000 accelerator.  They thought (haven't actually tried) that it would
be compatible with the MegaMidgetRacer (CSA) electrically, but not sure
about physical constraints of fitting in the A500 case.

Actually to call the AdIDE a controller is a bit inaccurate.  IDE drives
have the controller electronics on board.  This is probably just an interface
and software to mimic the standard AT I/O signals.

All in all, it sounds very tempting.  If anyone actually gets an AdIDE
post on the network your impressions.  I'm trying to arrange the money
to do it myself but it may take a month or more.

   Tim Cullip
   cullip@cs.unc.edu

Not affiliated in any way with ICD, just an interested possible customer.

--

   Tim Cullip
   cullip@cs.unc.edu

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (03/15/91)

In article <47475@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tsarna@pooh (Tyler Sarna) writes:
>In article <roger_earl.1709@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> of
>comp.sys.amiga.hardware, Roger Earl
><roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> wrote:
>
>> flipping thru the usual articles when something caught my eye.  ICD has an
>> advertisement for a new Hard Drive for the Amiga 500.  Apparently this 20
>> meg drive is so small that it actually mounts completely inside the Amiga
>> 500.  There is no mention of price and little statement of features.  If
>
>Yes, I think it's a 2.5" drive. Anyone know if this would fit in
>an A1000 with a Rejuvenator? I've got a friend who's interested.
>
>> this drive is fairly standard and affordable then i am interested.  Does the
>> SCSI pass thru ?  Any information on this drive would be greatly

  I think ICD sells the 20 meg for $630. They are also planning a 60 meg.
The controller sells for $120 mail order. For an A500, get the AdIDE 44
pin version. A2000 can use 40 or 44 pin. The 44 pin version connects to a
40 pin IDE drive with the ICD adaptor, or an IDE 44 pin without the special
adapter. The A500 version costs $20 more than the A2000 version because it
also comes with the plastic feat, heat sheild, and brackets.

>No, SCSI does not pass throught - it's not a SCSI drive, it's an
>IDE drive connected to ICD's AdIDE. AdIDE does support
>autobooting, Amax-II partitions, etc.

  You can however chain one additional IDE drive.