[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] How to Add A501 to 1M

ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au (03/12/91)

I would like to be able to use an A501 ram board with a Rev 6A A500 computer
that has 1Mb of memory (chip) on its' motherboard. This configuration does not
seem to work without some hardware mods. Anybody know how?????

Many Thanks,
Gavin.......
--
Internet: ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au                    Phone: +61 7 365 3942
  Postal: Gavin Stone-Tolcher, Prentice Computer Centre (Network Management)

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (03/13/91)

ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:

>I would like to be able to use an A501 ram board with a Rev 6A A500 computer
>that has 1Mb of memory (chip) on its' motherboard. This configuration does not
>seem to work without some hardware mods. Anybody know how?????

Can't be done with an A501.

Commodore, in there great wisdom :) brought out an A500 which can use 1Mb
of chip ram (ie, rev 6A and newer). Anyway, the address space used for the
extra .5Mb of Chip was also allocated to the A501. Result: You can't have a
clock (ie, the A501) on an A500 with 1Mb chip ram on the motherboard. So
you can't have 1.5Mb either.

Unless...
  You did what I did. I got an 'AX-RAM' board (2Mb version) from SE WATTS
Electronics in Hoppers Crossing (Victoria). This allows (when populated to
2Mb), you to have an A500 rev 6A, with 1Mb chip ram (only .5 on the
motherboard tho- the other half is on the AX-RAM), 1.5Mb fast (??) ram, and
a clock. If you don't want 1Mb chip ram, you can have 2Mb fast instead.
BUT, you still have to remove the extra .5Mb of chip if you did install it,
(and use these to populate the AX-RAM)

>Many Thanks,
>Gavin.......
>--
>Internet: ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au                    Phone: +61 7 365 3942
>  Postal: Gavin Stone-Tolcher, Prentice Computer Centre (Network Management)
>          Queensland University, St Lucia, QLD Australia 4072.

| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |     This side for rent...      |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        |                                |

efp90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Pritchard EF) (03/14/91)

In <1991Mar13.004556.14039@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) writes:

>ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:

>>I would like to be able to use an A501 ram board with a Rev 6A A500 computer
>>that has 1Mb of memory (chip) on its' motherboard. This configuration does not
>>seem to work without some hardware mods. Anybody know how?????

>Can't be done with an A501.

>Commodore, in there great wisdom :) brought out an A500 which can use 1Mb
>of chip ram (ie, rev 6A and newer). Anyway, the address space used for the
>extra .5Mb of Chip was also allocated to the A501. Result: You can't have a
>clock (ie, the A501) on an A500 with 1Mb chip ram on the motherboard. So
>you can't have 1.5Mb either.

>Unless...
>  You did what I did. I got an 'AX-RAM' board (2Mb version) from SE WATTS
>Electronics in Hoppers Crossing (Victoria). This allows (when populated to
>2Mb), you to have an A500 rev 6A, with 1Mb chip ram (only .5 on the
>motherboard tho- the other half is on the AX-RAM), 1.5Mb fast (??) ram, and
>a clock. If you don't want 1Mb chip ram, you can have 2Mb fast instead.
>BUT, you still have to remove the extra .5Mb of chip if you did install it,
>(and use these to populate the AX-RAM)

>>Many Thanks,
>>Gavin.......
>>--
>>Internet: ccgavin@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au                    Phone: +61 7 365 3942
>>  Postal: Gavin Stone-Tolcher, Prentice Computer Centre (Network Management)
>>          Queensland University, St Lucia, QLD Australia 4072.

>| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |     This side for rent...      |
>| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        |                                |

You can do the same thing with the IDC Ad-RAM which is probably more availiable
in Europe and the USA. Again, this requires removing the extra DRAMs from your
A500 board and inserting them into the Ad-RAM board I'm afraid. (You did socket
them didn't you? :-| )

By the way the IDC Ad-RAM is a very good product, though I am worried that I may
have troubles upgrading or adding other items which need a board under Gary, since
that is where Ad-RAM goes too...

E.F.Pritchard.
efp90@uk.ac.soton.ecs

etj90 (The Binary Warlock) (03/14/91)

With the Datel Electronics 0.5MB board you just flip a switch on the
board if you have the right Agnus.

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (03/15/91)

I was wondering if it would be possible to attatch an IBM-compatible HD
to my A1000 using partitionning so that I can use the HD as a drive for
both my Amiga and my 386 (simultaneously).

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me the h/ware and
s/ware involved.

Thanks in advance.

George.