[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Analogue joysticks and Amiga?

maze@diku.dk (Mads Haahr) (03/05/91)

Has anybody had any experience with connecting an analogue joystick to the
Amiga?  As far as I know, none of the commercial games currently support
these things, but nevertheless, I'd like one to use with my own programs.

I have the following questions...

  Is it possible to connect one through one of the game ports (ie. are there
  pins enough in a game port?) or is it necessary to use the parallel port?

  Does anybody have information on which pins carry what information on an
  ordinary analogue joystick? (Please mail or post!)

Thanks in advance,

  Mads Haahr

  Mads Haahr,                          |  Internet: maze@freja.diku.dk
  Department of Computer Science,      |
  University of Copenhagen,            |  Cthulhu Fthagn!
  Denmark                              |  Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath!

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.130505.19791@odin.diku.dk> maze@diku.dk (Mads Haahr) writes:
>Has anybody had any experience with connecting an analogue joystick to the
>Amiga?  As far as I know, none of the commercial games currently support
>these things, but nevertheless, I'd like one to use with my own programs.
>
>I have the following questions...
>
>  Is it possible to connect one through one of the game ports (ie. are there
>  pins enough in a game port?) or is it necessary to use the parallel port?
>
>  Does anybody have information on which pins carry what information on an
>  ordinary analogue joystick? (Please mail or post!)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>  Mads Haahr

>  Mads Haahr,                          |  Internet: maze@freja.diku.dk
>  Department of Computer Science,      |
>  University of Copenhagen,            |  Cthulhu Fthagn!
>  Denmark                              |  Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath!

From page 223 of the hardware manual:
pin#	function
----	--------
 1	button 3
 2	  ---
 3	button 1
 4	button 2
 5	POT X
 6	  ---
 7	+5V (pot return)
 8	GND (button return)
 9	POT Y

I too have been interested in seeing software written to take advantage
of this unexploited capability of the Amiga. I even went so far to hack
up an IBM style joystick. Alas, nobody has come forward with sample code
to test it with. Any volunteers????

PS: if anyone decides to hack an IBM joystick, be forewarned that these
have 100K pots, not 470K as recommended. For normal range of operation,
extra capacitance will have to be added to the POTX and POTY pins(return
to GND pin). I calculate about .2uF or so might be called for. I'll let
you know more when I get my hands on some code to try it on.

PPS: if you write your own code, be sure to average POT0DAT and POT1DAT
readings over several frames to get accurate position info.

dusek@motcid.UUCP (James P. Dusek) (03/08/91)

	The only 2 programs that use analog sticks are F19 stealth fighter
and Air Warrior on GEnie.I use an IBM analog stick with the plug changed,
and I saw no differance between adding .2uf caps and leaving them off.If
there is a reason to leave them on can sombody please tell me?

p.s. I have a friend who uses the gravis mousestick as an analog joystick
     and it works just as well.

				James Dusek

				Motorola FSD.

fmonro@gara.une.oz.au (Franz Joseph ) (03/12/91)

In article <5955@ruby3.UUCP>, dusek@motcid.UUCP (James P. Dusek) writes:

> 	The only 2 programs that use analog sticks are F19 stealth fighter
> and Air Warrior on GEnie.I use an IBM analog stick with the plug changed,

I vaugely remember reading about using an analog joystick with Flight Simulator
II, on the net a long time ago. Does anyone know if Amiga FSII has proper analog stick support?

     |   | |   | |~~~~~      |          (Che) Franz Joseph Monro
     |   | |\  | |           |
     |   | | \ | |-----      |            fmonro@gara.une.oz.au
     |   | |  \| |           |
      \_/  |   | |_____      |                       or
The University of New England|           fmonro@neumann.une.oz.au
     Armidale, Australia.    |

amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG) (03/15/91)

Amazing computing published a hardware project for adapting IBM and AppleII
analogue joysticks to the Amiga. It includes source code.Oh yeah, the issue
is July 89 (bright blue cover).
          Regards,
                  Gary
     (Amiga User Group of W. Aust)