[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1950 Jiggling

ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Allen J. Fisch) (03/04/91)

I have just gotten my first Amiga - the 3000 with 1950 monitor.
Everything was going really great - the screen was beautiful and rock
steady.  Then I double clicked the MultiSync icon in the MonitorStore
window - and since then the workbench screen tends to jiggle.  Note
this is not flicker, but the entire page jitters rapidly up and down
by a pixle or too.  It stops every so often and then comes back.
Strangely this did not go away even after powering down and then up
again.  Does anyone have a clue what is going on and how I can return
to my happy pristine state?

-Avi Fisch <ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.000135.21043@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Allen J. Fisch) writes...

>I have just gotten my first Amiga - the 3000 with 1950 monitor.
>Everything was going really great - the screen was beautiful and rock
>steady.  Then I double clicked the MultiSync icon in the MonitorStore
>window - and since then the workbench screen tends to jiggle.  Note
>this is not flicker, but the entire page jitters rapidly up and down
>by a pixle or too.  It stops every so often and then comes back.
>Strangely this did not go away even after powering down and then up
>again.  Does anyone have a clue what is going on and how I can return
>to my happy pristine state?

Its nothing you did.  Its a common problem with early 1950's.  You need to take
it back to your dealer.  My dealer said that the turnaround for replacement is
fairly fast.  I just ignored the problem with mine and it went away.  But, I
don't recommend that.

	John

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (03/05/91)

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:

>In article <1991Mar4.000135.21043@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Allen J. Fisch) writes...

>Its nothing you did.  Its a common problem with early 1950's.  You need to take
>it back to your dealer.  My dealer said that the turnaround for replacement is
>fairly fast.  I just ignored the problem with mine and it went away.  But, I
>don't recommend that.

>	John

I had that problem, and sent it back.  This was three weeks ago - the dealer
said C= has only authorized a place in Cincinatti to replace the part(s).
He mentioned an entire motherboard replacement in the monitor (I don't
know anything about monitors, and am not sure what he ment by motherboard)

--
2B|!(2B) => ?               Can a perfect being create an object
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu        Heavier than it can lift?

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/05/91)

>-Avi Fisch <ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> writes:
[Stuff deleted]
>steady.  Then I double clicked the MultiSync icon in the MonitorStore
>window - and since then the workbench screen tends to jiggle.  Note
>this is not flicker, but the entire page jitters rapidly up and down
>by a pixle or too.  It stops every so often and then comes back.
[more stuff deleted]

First off, clicking on the multisync icon does not make the computer work
specifically with the monitor. You must go into the WBScreen prefs and select
the multisync. I would also suggest dragging the multisync driver into the
WBStartup drawer so that it will automatically be run on startup.

Secondly, I work at a computer store and we commonly have the same 'jitter' on
many different machines. The problem (for us) is electrical 'noise' on the
line. The addition of a good power bar with GOOD EFI/RFI filter usually
eliminates the problem. The $5.00 power bars available from KMart do not do
the job.

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/05/91)

I have a question about hardware availability. I've had the pleasure of seeing
Iris/Tektronics/other machines running things like Soft Image and Wavefront
software. Though the software was incredible, I found the nicest thing about
these systems were the HUGE monitors and displays. Is there any
hardware/software that would allow one to run on a 19/20 inch color monitor
at huge resoloutions? Money is no real problem since I can't even afford a
little TV, Its more out of professional curiosity (I sell Amigas you see)

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (03/06/91)

I guess I got lucky.  I purchased a 3000 back in September, and my 1950
is fine.  It even runs off of a VGA card in an AT sometimes, and looks
great.  I started getting worried when I saw all of these posts about
1950 problems...

rory

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.000135.21043@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Allen J. Fisch) writes:
> I have just gotten my first Amiga - the 3000 with 1950 monitor.
> Everything was going really great - the screen was beautiful and rock
> steady.  Then I double clicked the MultiSync icon in the MonitorStore
> window - and since then the workbench screen tends to jiggle.  Note
> this is not flicker, but the entire page jitters rapidly up and down
> by a pixle or too.  It stops every so often and then comes back.
> Strangely this did not go away even after powering down and then up
> again.  Does anyone have a clue what is going on and how I can return
> to my happy pristine state?

Let me relate a small story that scared me to death....

I just got my A3000 and a 1950 monitor.  My monitor jiggled as well.
I read in the A3000 users manual that if 'jiggling' occurred there
was a small screw adjustment on the back of the A3000 to correct
this.  Inside the "using the system software" manual was a little
plastic screwdriver.  I pulled it out and went to the little hole
on the back of my cpu.

I turned the screw.  The manual said you will hear a click as you
turn it.  This is normal, in fact there are 16 turns available.  I
turned.  I got the video solid and then it started again.  Sigh,
I turned again.  Somehow I had managed to miss the little screw
inside the machine and I was _pushing_ on the little rectangular
box that holds the screw.

I messed my video up quite badly.  I ended up taking the system
apart and pushing the little rectangular box containing the dinky
screw til it was straight.   I then hurled the plastic 'A3000
destroyer screwdriver' into the corner and broke out my little
screwdriver.  I got my video back, and now it jitters, but not
all of the time.

In conclusion, I am not thrilled with the A1950 monitor.  Out
of the 5 we got into the store, most of them are either really
crocked or jittering really bad.   I think I got the best one.

The moral of this story is -- be careful -- or you will get to
purchase a new motherboard.

And the final moral is... throw that damnable little plastic
screwdriver into the garbage. :-)

I do _love_ my A3000 and my 1950 monitor.  Now. :-)

> -Avi Fisch <ajf1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "Mr. AmigaVision,  The 32 bit guy"
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================

Thomas.Dorn@p3.f42.n310.z2.at (Thomas Dorn) (03/15/91)

 Hallo (Mark,

 you wrote <13 Mar 91  03:53:35>
 about <Re: A1950 Jiggling>, where you write:

 (D> From: manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University)
 (D> Date: 6 Mar 91 13:42:16 GMT Message-ID: <706.27d4b979@vger.nsu.edu>
 (D> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
 (D>
 (D> I messed my video up quite badly.  I ended up taking the system apart
 (D> and pushing the little rectangular box containing the dinky screw til
 (D> it was straight.   I then hurled the plastic 'A3000  destroyer
 (D> screwdriver' into the corner and broke out my little screwdriver.  I
 (D> got my video back, and now it jitters, but not all of the time.
 (D>
 (D> And the final moral is... throw that damnable little plastic
 (D> screwdriver into the garbage. :-)

It's a plastic-Screwdriver because of the magnetic field of an normal
Screwdriver at this Position of an A3000. Normaly it works fine, to
adjust with this thing.

thomas

--

 UUCP: ...!tuvie!edvvie!voice!42.3!Thomas.Dorn
 ARPA: Thomas.Dorn@p3.f42.n310.z2.at