[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Battery backed up clock not found: A500

middleto@CS.UWindsor.Ca (Blair Middleton) (03/11/91)

I know this has been asked before, but I now need some help:
Last night my A500 booted up with the message:
      "batery backed up clock not found"
And had the date and time not set. It looks as if my clock
or the battery is dead, as setting it doesn't make the time
hold through a re-boot. I looked through the manual but didn't
find any info. I then took out the A501 512k memory expansion
that I think houses the battery but found it spot-welded together.

My questions is: is there a battery that could be replaced in the
A501 unit or is there any other remedy?

E-mail me as this has probably been discussed before. Thank you
in advance.

-Blair

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (03/14/91)

In article <395@schoenfinkel.CS.UWindsor.Ca> middleto@CS.UWindsor.Ca (Blair Middleton) writes:
>I know this has been asked before, but I now need some help:
>Last night my A500 booted up with the message:
>      "batery backed up clock not found"
>And had the date and time not set. It looks as if my clock
>or the battery is dead, as setting it doesn't make the time
>hold through a re-boot. I looked through the manual but didn't
>find any info. I then took out the A501 512k memory expansion
>that I think houses the battery but found it spot-welded together.

Your clock may have been trashed by bad code.

Try this:

	1. set the date and time with the DATE command

	2. clear the clock with "setclock RESET"

	3. reset the clock with "setclock SAVE"

	4. do a "setclock LOAD" to see if it works now

This worked for me when my clock disappeared.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/16/91)

In article <9103131541.39@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
=In article <395@schoenfinkel.CS.UWindsor.Ca> middleto@CS.UWindsor.Ca (Blair Middleton) writes:
=>[...]Last night my A500 [said] "batery backed up clock not found" [...]
=
=Try this:
=	1. set the date and time with the DATE command
=	2. clear the clock with "setclock RESET"
=	3. reset the clock with "setclock SAVE"
=	4. do a "setclock LOAD" to see if it works now

You need the setclock that came in the WB1.3.2 release for this to work.
If you don't have it, try physically removing the A501 from the computer
(after shutting off power, natch).  Then put it back in.  This worked
for me.

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!