[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Frame grabbers

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (03/09/91)

	Hi. Are genlocks/frame grabbers the same thing? How many samples of
the video image can be taken per second? Does the information retrieved
include color? Really sorry if these questions were asked before.

					Jeff

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (03/11/91)

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:

> 	Hi. Are genlocks/frame grabbers the same thing? How many samples of
> the video image can be taken per second? Does the information retrieved
> include color? Really sorry if these questions were asked before.
>
> 					Jeff

Gee, I really ought to keep my ignorant mouth shut and let the pro's talcke
these. But what the heck, maybe they'll be motivated to correct and complete
my misinformation ;-)

First, NO, a genlock anf a frame grabber are not the same thing. In fact,
I'd venture to say that most boxes that claim genlock function do not also
claim frame grab function -- and visa versa. A genlock, in my simple minded
way, merely lets you overlay Amiga screen graphics (text, pix, etc.) on top
of an external video signal (vcr, camera, etc.). So you could do subtitles,
or add pointers or captions to a video text (how 'bout "Here's where the
smiley face of Mars is observed at Martian Sunset"). A frame grabber, as you
suggest, is a video digitizer and storage device. Basically, a frame grabber
is a chunk of ram (its own or Amiga's) with software and some minimal
hardware to convert a video signal into a digitized and stored data file.
Formats, colors, resolutions, speeds, etc. vary tremendously. Performance as
is usual in matters of the world increases directly with the cube of the
price (i.e. to get 2x the resolution/speed/colors you need 8x the bucks). A
NewTek DigiView does fairly decent low-end work, takes 60 seconds to scan,
and costs a few hundred bucks. There are some midrange units that't grab 30
frames per second of low res and/or b&w frames. DCTV is a slow scanner -- no
live action shots! The Cannon Xapshot can be interfaced for quick single
frames. The Video Toaster has two frame buffers, but again they take many
many microseconds to load -- bandwidth limits y'know.

There used to be a firm out in California called Winner Circle that might be
able to help you. I'm sure there are many others -- gee in that state there
ought to be billions and billions ;-) Heck, there ought to be loads of gurus
at JPL to steer you right.

Use the Force and good luck!

Travis

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

Thomas.Dorn@p3.f42.n310.z2.at (Thomas Dorn) (03/16/91)

 Hallo Jeff,

 JD> From: jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) Date: 8 Mar 91
 JD> 16:20:04 GMT Organization: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
 JD>
 JD>
 JD>         Hi. Are genlocks/frame grabbers the same thing? How many
 JD> samples of the video image can be taken per second? Does the
 JD> information retrieved include color? Really sorry if these questions
 JD> were asked before.

No. Realy not. Genlocks are added to an Amiga-System in this way, that
the Amiga synchronizes to the Video-Input.

A Frame-Grabber is a Device, which get a Video-Frame in realtime and
hold this picture in its own RAM. With the VD2001 Framebuffer and
Digitizer you can grab Pictures in realtime and 24 bit. And you can,
because of a special featuer of this card, lock a Video-Input to the
buffer. Soft-genlocking.

thomas ... greetings from Vienna

--

 UUCP: ...!tuvie!edvvie!voice!42.3!Thomas.Dorn
 ARPA: Thomas.Dorn@p3.f42.n310.z2.at