[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 internal HD: SCSI?

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (03/13/91)

Hello again!

My local dealer mentioned that he would buy back the stock 50MB
internal drive of the A3000/25 and then I could put in a 200MB one.

Is the internal drive of the A3000 a SCSI?  Would the larger (meg at
lease) drive fit?  (Quantum 210MB).  Is this just a bad idea from the
start?  (Would setting up the drive be a major hassle?)

Would there be heat considerations to worry about?  Is there any speed
difference with external SCSI vs. the internal HD?  (How fast is the
internal A3000 HD anyway?)

(BTW, thanks for all the info on SCSI vs. SCSI-II!)

Thanks again,
-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the conclusion
\X/  Andrews |  is left unresolved."  - B. McLaughlin

In article <Mar.12.13.20.09.1991.6042@u2.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:

>Is the internal drive of the A3000 a SCSI?

Yup, its a Quantum 50MB (52MB?) SCSI drive.

>Would the larger (meg at lease) drive fit?  (Quantum 210MB).

That 210MB Quantum may just be the same drive they use in the A3000UX 200MB
system.  In any case, the A3000 can fit just about any standard 3.5" hard
drive in the rear bay; they don't have to be the extra thin kind they're
shipping with now.

>(Would setting up the drive be a major hassle?)

I have set up drives from floppy disk.  Assuming they still give out all the
floppies, it shouldn't be a problem.

>Would there be heat considerations to worry about?  Is there any speed
>difference with external SCSI vs. the internal HD?  (How fast is the
>internal A3000 HD anyway?)

The only difference would be the drive itself -- SCSI is SCSI as far as the
A3000 is concerned.  The only speed bottlenecks are the drive, and SCSI itself.
The SCSI chip to memory interface is around 4x faster than the best synchronous
SCSI-1 around.

>  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the conclusion

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

sysop@insider.zer.sub.org (03/16/91)

> My local dealer mentioned that he would buy back the stock 50MB

I guess you're lucky there... C= wouldn't take bake the 40-Quantum in my
3000... now it's `resting in peace' in my closet ... (can't put 3 Drives in
my 3000 ... :-( )

> Is the internal drive of the A3000 a SCSI?  Would the larger (meg at

Yep!

> lease) drive fit?  (Quantum 210MB).  Is this just a bad idea from the

Sure... as long as it's 3 1/2 " ...

> start?  (Would setting up the drive be a major hassle?)

No... but what you should do: before taking the 50Meg drive out, connect
your 200Meg drive as second drive, install it with HDToolbox (better re-read
the drive params, my 160Meg drives were set to some 155 Megs...) and copy
everything from the 50 to the 200... that should shorten the install
procedure quite a bit...

> difference with external SCSI vs. the internal HD?  (How fast is the
> internal A3000 HD anyway?)

I had some 850K out of my 160 Quantums... (1.1Meg w/direct track access)

Amiga - What else ? |  Garry Glendown         The Insider HST/V32 0662177923
	   //       |  UUCP: cbmvax!cbmger!inside!garry  Fido: 2:243/43.999
	  //        |        garry@fulmin.rhoen.sub.org  Garry@DGIHRZ01.BITNET
	\X/         |  Zerberus: SYSOP@INSIDER.ZER

---
   SysOp @ INSIDER    --    Saddam for Minesweeping!

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/17/91)

In article <9103140849.57.1567@INSIDER> sysop@insider.zer.sub.org writes:

  <<stuff deleated>>

>3000... now it's `resting in peace' in my closet ... (can't put 3 Drives in
>my 3000 ... :-( )

Why can't you put 3 drives in your 3000?  My Quantum 50Meg drive fits fine
above the 3.5" floppy drive and this leaves two COMPLETELY empty 3.5" bays
left.  These bays can hold more than just a single drive!  I even have two
HD mounted in the bay that is normally used for the second floppy drive.
If fully utilized, the 3000 could conceivably hold up to 6 drives!!! This
does not even include HD-cards that could be installed.

>Amiga - What else ? |  Garry Glendown         The Insider HST/V32 0662177923
>	   //       |  UUCP: cbmvax!cbmger!inside!garry  Fido: 2:243/43.999
>	  //        |        garry@fulmin.rhoen.sub.org  Garry@DGIHRZ01.BITNET
>	\X/         |  Zerberus: SYSOP@INSIDER.ZER
>
>---
>   SysOp @ INSIDER    --    Saddam for Minesweeping!