[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Panasonic KX-P1124 Printer

johnv@tower.actrix.co.nz (John Veldthuis) (07/09/90)

I want to upgrade my printer with the 32K ram chip but my local dealer
wants NZ$139 for it. I know it is a 32K by 8 bit CMOS ram chip but can
anyone tell me what the number on it is. My local dealer won't tell me as
He will lose too much money. Thanks

--
*** John Veldthuis, NZAmigaUG.         johnv@tower.actrix.co.nz       ***

jamesb@bushido.uucp (Jim Harvey) (07/13/90)

In article <163.tnews@tower.actrix.co.nz> johnv@tower.actrix.co.nz (John Veldthuis) writes:
>I want to upgrade my printer with the 32K ram chip but my local dealer
>wants NZ$139 for it. I know it is a 32K by 8 bit CMOS ram chip but can
>anyone tell me what the number on it is. My local dealer won't tell me as
>He will lose too much money. Thanks
>
>--
>*** John Veldthuis, NZAmigaUG.         johnv@tower.actrix.co.nz       ***

A type 62256 or equivalent.  I paid about $8.00 for mine, they are advertised
in many places, ask for 62256 but there are many equivalent part numbers.
The real trick is getting the Panasonic apart to install the chip.  You
place your fingers on the top of the front cover, press down and pull forward.
The cover should snap off, be careful of the attached wires.  Remove the three
screws revealed and the printer top can be removed.  There is only one empty
socket, put the chip there oriented as the two adjacent.
--
-------
Jim Harvey                      |

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul12.200434.1741@bushido.uucp> jamesb@bushido.uucp (Jim Harvey) writes:
>A type 62256 or equivalent.  I paid about $8.00 for mine, they are advertised
>in many places, ask for 62256 but there are many equivalent part numbers.
>The real trick is getting the Panasonic apart to install the chip.  You
>place your fingers on the top of the front cover, press down and pull forward.
>The cover should snap off, be careful of the attached wires.  Remove the three
>screws revealed and the printer top can be removed.  There is only one empty
>socket, put the chip there oriented as the two adjacent.
>--
>-------
>Jim Harvey                      |
>Michigan Bell Telephone Co.     |  "Ask not for whom the bell tolls and you
>29777 Telegraph  Rm 3352        |   will only pay station to station rates."

Is that the same part for the KX-P1180?  I know that there is a 32K
expansion for it, and the Panasonic line is pretty good in that
respect....

Thanks...

...greg...

        ___  Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are not my own, but
AMIGA! ////  the property of some higher-up power, to which I am only a tool.
      ////     "Welcome, my son.  Welcome to the machine." -- Pink Floyd
___  //// "Reality is only a simulation, and it's still in beta testing." -- Me
\\\\////
 \\XX//            Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

seh@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Holaday) (07/13/90)

  (John Veldthuis) writes:
>I want to upgrade my printer with the 32K ram chip but my local dealer
>wants NZ$139 for it. I know it is a 32K by 8 bit CMOS ram chip but can
>anyone tell me what the number on it is. My local dealer won't tell me as
>He will lose too much money. Thanks
>
>*** John Veldthuis, NZAmigaUG.         johnv@tower.actrix.co.nz       ***

Panasonic wants $60-$80 (US) for this chip.  The manual calls for a
MB84256.  I think all 32k by 8 bit ram chips are pin compatable.
The existing chips are 120 ns, so get 120 ns or less.  One person
used a Sony CXK58257P-10 chip and didn't have any trouble.  This should
cost you less than $10.  Let us know how things come out. :-)

PS.  This comes up often enough that maybe it should be part of the
newuser posting.
--
mail:  seh@pmafire.UUCP                 Steve Holaday
  or   !uunet!pmafire!seh        I *HATE* long signature files!

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) (03/16/91)

I own the Panasonic KX-P1124 printer and an Amiga, and I dont know what
printer driver to use with it!  I currently use the Epson_LQ-2500 driver (with
the printer on the Epson LQ emulation mode) and the Panasonic_KX-P10xx driver
(seems pretty close).  Can anyone help me fine the correct/best driver for
this printer?  Also, how do you get this printer to print the IBM graphics
characters?  Thanks -

  -=+ Steve Krulewitz +=- -=+ Fair Lawn, NJ +=- -=+ stevek@amiglynx.UUCP +=-

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (03/17/91)

In article <stevek.3496@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) writes:

> I own the Panasonic KX-P1124 printer and an Amiga, and I dont know what
> printer driver to use with it!  I currently use the Epson_LQ-2500 driver (with
> the printer on the Epson LQ emulation mode) and the Panasonic_KX-P10xx driver
> (seems pretty close).  Can anyone help me fine the correct/best driver for
> this printer?  Also, how do you get this printer to print the IBM graphics
> characters?  Thanks -

I use the NEC-Pinwriter driver. This allows 360x360 graphics.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/18/91)

In article <stevek.3496@amiglynx.UUCP>, stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz)
says:

>I own the Panasonic KX-P1124 printer and an Amiga, and I dont know what
>printer driver to use with it!  I currently use the Epson_LQ-2500 driver (with
>the printer on the Epson LQ emulation mode) and the Panasonic_KX-P10xx driver
>(seems pretty close).  Can anyone help me fine the correct/best driver for
>this printer?  Also, how do you get this printer to print the IBM graphics
>characters?  Thanks -
>
>  -=+ Steve Krulewitz +=- -=+ Fair Lawn, NJ +=- -=+ stevek@amiglynx.UUCP +=-

I try to reach you through email, but I can't...

You can Use Nec_Pinwriter instead.  You can have all the resolutions from
90*180 dpi all the way up to 360*360 dpi !!  This is on the 1.3 disk.
I am using EpsonQPlus.020 from a local BBS, but it works with 020 and above
CPUs.  To use the IBM mode chars, you'll have to switch the printer to
proprinter mode.  Read the quick reference card on the back of the printer
manual.  You'll also have to use a proprinter driver.  (Proprinter does not
have the same command set as the LQ2500 emulation - in fact it can't do as
much.  I had the fun for writing IBM programs. :(  )

Hope this helps...

K. C. Lee
Elec. Eng. Grad. Student