[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Keyboard dead ->fixed!

tm86214@cc.tut.fi (Miettinen Topi) (03/14/91)

The disease: One day, the Caps Lock LED in my A500 started to blink, and in few
seconds, boot. This happened randomly thereafter. Sometimes it just freezed,
sometimes it booted in 5-second intervals (horrors!)

Meet the cure: I opened the case, took the keyboard out and disassembled it.
Then I blowed any dust and hair away from the keys and especially from the
circuits. I put all things back.

This was two weeks ago, and everything has been OK.

Another thing related to A500's and their keyboards:
It has bothered me since I bought my A500, that the drive LED seems to be red,
when it's not lit. Therefore I put some tape around the power LED, and now it's
perfect!

tm86214@ee.tut.fi	Topi Miettinen	 OP   	Mnemonic	Description
moviesAmigaTDelec	Tiaisentie 17 D	 FDFF 	BUGL     	VMS bugcheck
tronicsRPGsleepeat	SF-33100 Tampere    - VAX-11 Programming Card

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (03/14/91)

In article <TM86214.91Mar13215509@lehtori.cc.tut.fi> tm86214@cc.tut.fi (Miettinen Topi) writes:

>The disease: One day, the Caps Lock LED in my A500 started to blink, and in few
>seconds, boot. This happened randomly thereafter. Sometimes it just freezed,
>sometimes it booted in 5-second intervals (horrors!)
>
>Meet the cure: I opened the case, took the keyboard out and disassembled it.
>Then I blowed any dust and hair away from the keys and especially from the
>circuits. I put all things back.
>
>This was two weeks ago, and everything has been OK.
>
>Another thing related to A500's and their keyboards:
>It has bothered me since I bought my A500, that the drive LED seems to be red,
>when it's not lit. Therefore I put some tape around the power LED, and now it's
>perfect!
>
>tm86214@ee.tut.fi	Topi Miettinen	 OP   	Mnemonic	Description
>moviesAmigaTDelec	Tiaisentie 17 D	 FDFF 	BUGL     	VMS bugcheck
>tronicsRPGsleepeat	SF-33100 Tampere    - VAX-11 Programming Card

Don't be so sure that this won't happen to you again, It happens to me
every now and then on my 2000, it hasn't happened for about 3 weeks now,
so any minute now i expect to see the little sucker start flashing.....

Matt Crowd.

BGT101@psuvm.psu.edu (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.013429.19345@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au
(Matthew W Crowd) says:

>In article <TM86214.91Mar13215509@lehtori.cc.tut.fi> tm86214@cc.tut.fi
>(Miettinen Topi) writes:
>>
>>The disease: One day, the Caps Lock LED in my A500 started to blink, and in  w
>>seconds, boot. This happened randomly thereafter. Sometimes it just freezed,
>>sometimes it booted in 5-second intervals (horrors!)
>>
>>Meet the cure: I opened the case, took the keyboard out and disassembled it.
>>Then I blowed any dust and hair away from the keys and especially from the
>>circuits. I put all things back.
>>
>>This was two weeks ago, and everything has been OK.
>>

>Don't be so sure that this won't happen to you again, It happens to me
>every now and then on my 2000, it hasn't happened for about 3 weeks now,
>so any minute now i expect to see the little sucker start flashing.....
>
>Matt Crowd.

My 500 had the same disease.  One day I took it to get it repaired, but the
repairman didn't find anything wrong with it.  I took it home a week later, and
it was working fine; for about 2 weeks.  Then the flashing and the locking up
started again.  A friend of mine, who happens to be an Amiga guru, told me that
the keyboard needs to be replaced, so 6 months ago I got a new keyboard.  Since
then my 500 has been working without any problems.

Blaise Tarr        BGT101@PSUVM.psu.edu   tarr@cs.psu.edu

rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com (03/18/91)