[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 3000 16 Mhz vs 25 Mhz

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) (03/14/91)

Could someone give DETAILED differences between 16Mhz & 25Mhz on the 3000.
Specifically, I plan to get the 040 board very soon, and I don't want to spend
the extra money on 25Mhz if it's not necessary.
  Like, can you just swap a crystal on the mother board (implying that
verything is the same),  Is the same speed memory used in both. Does the 16Mhz
limit the speed for the 040 board, etc..
thanks

In article <1991Mar14.152303.26147@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) writes:
>Could someone give DETAILED differences between 16Mhz & 25Mhz on the 3000.

ONE MORE TIME...  The difference in these two systems is the clock speed of
the Motorola chips, 68881 in the 16MHz system vs. 68882 in the 25MHz system,
and the actual system clock provided for clocking everything else.  The
Motorola chips in a 16MHz system can't be clocked at 25MHz, but the Amiga
chips can.

>Specifically, I plan to get the 040 board very soon, and I don't want to spend
>the extra money on 25Mhz if it's not necessary.

That would depend on the design of the '040 board.

>  Like, can you just swap a crystal on the mother board (implying that
>verything is the same),

No, you can't.  The Motorola chips in a 16MHz system can't be clocked at 25MHz.

>Does the 16Mhz limit the speed for the 040 board, etc..

Any Coprocessor Slot device can clock the A3000 chips at 25MHz, while leaving
the clock going to the Motorola chips at 16MHz.  It is up to the designer of
the Coprocessor Slot device to do this, or not.

>thanks

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett