[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000 Hard Drives

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/01/91)

From what I'm reading, there are quite a few people with amiga 3000's
having minor problems if they are setting up two harddrives. The most
common problem seems to be the need to warm boot after a cold boot to
get the harddrive to mount.  I have the same problem and my second
scsi drive is a ST157N.  At first I had thought, like others, that it
was a problem with the thing being so slow, but with all these people
having problems , I am begining to think otherwise.

My harddrives are physically connected properly.  I even switched scsi
cables to make sure i didn't have a flaky one.

This being the case, let me assure the sceptics that it doesn't
necessarily have to be that the people with the harddrives don't have
them installed right.

I haven't tried putting the seagate in the first position (as the boot
drive), but I would think that if it is really a case of the seagate
coming up to speed to slow, it would be forced to wait for the seagate
if it was the boot drive, right?  or not right?

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/08/91)

In article <27230@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:

>From what I'm reading, there are quite a few people with amiga 3000's
>having minor problems if they are setting up two harddrives. The most
>common problem seems to be the need to warm boot after a cold boot to
>get the harddrive to mount.  I have the same problem and my second
>scsi drive is a ST157N.  At first I had thought, like others, that it
>was a problem with the thing being so slow, but with all these people
>having problems , I am begining to think otherwise.
>
>My harddrives are physically connected properly.  I even switched scsi
>cables to make sure i didn't have a flaky one.
>
>This being the case, let me assure the sceptics that it doesn't
>necessarily have to be that the people with the harddrives don't have
>them installed right.

I am having the same problem.  In addition to the initial cold reboot
needing a warm reboot in order that the 2nd HD be recognized, also any
warm reboot afterwards will also require a 2nd warm reboot in order that
the 2nd HD be recognized!  This can get to be quite frustrating!
  Now, when I have to do a warm reboot, I just go ahead and hit the
"three finger vulcan pinch" twice!
  Once- to start the warm reboot
  Second- when I first see the HD access light during the first reboot

This saves time because I am not going through an entire startup-sequence
twice!  I would still like to have some kind of hw or sw fix for this!
I contacted C=, but they said that they hadn't heard much about this
problem.  So you know where this got me!  Dave! You listening?
PLEASE!  If someone can help me.....DO!
  I even tried putting a reboot in my startup if the HD did not exist!
But everytime it would boot, Amy would ask me for that particular device.

Any ideas?
Thanx in advance!

PS.  I would include all the specs. of my machine, but I think that in
this particular case, they don't really matter:  Its a 3000 with
two internal 3.5" HD.  And yes I have the termination resistor packs onlyh
on the last HD!  And yes the SCSI id# are different and yes the HD is
formatted.

PSS.  One additional problem is that my 1.3 side doesn't recognize the
2nd HD as a DOS disk!  I have tried formatting from 1.3 too.
And yes, the 1.3 side has the same problem of not recognizing the 2nd HD
on every other warm reboot!

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/08/91)

[Second drive, which just happens to be a Seacrate, is not recognized by
the A3000 at boot time.]

The problem is most likely Seagate's LONG spinup time. You can work
around that by getting hold of the program "BattMem" which will let you
change the A3000 controller's timeout from the standard setting to the
long "seagate" setting.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (03/08/91)

I just added two ST296N's to my A1000, connected via a Comspec autobooting
SCSI interface.  After a few weeks the second drive started doing something
similar; upon first being turned on it would not respond properly and would
fail to mount.  Rebooting after letting it run for 5 minutes or so would
fix the problem.

In my case, I just reformatted the drive and the problem has (so far)
not returned.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975

In article <1991Mar7.191825.26824@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>[Second drive, which just happens to be a Seacrate, is not recognized by
>the A3000 at boot time.]
>
>The problem is most likely Seagate's LONG spinup time. You can work
>around that by getting hold of the program "BattMem" which will let you
>change the A3000 controller's timeout from the standard setting to the
>long "seagate" setting.

Let me clarify something for a few people:
  The A3000 2nd HD problem is NOT:
    spinup time
    hardware hookup
 or "operator error" (using wrong commands etc.)

It IS a serious problem and not just limited to a few "dumb" users.
By the amount of e-mail that I got, apparently this concerns many smart users
that have tried MANY different things to make it work.  I did get a small
number of users that said that they had added an additional Quantum HD with
no problems.  The rest of the mail concerned Conners, Seagates, Miniscribes,
and others.  They had ALL had the EXACT same problem....coincidence????
  I can't speak for the other people having 2nd HD problems, but I am also
having problems making the 1.3 side acknowledge the existence of the 2nd HD.
I have to do the same two warm reboots in order to get them recognized.
Then when they do show up on the workbench, they are not recognized as a
Dos disk!  I went back to 2.0, ran HDtoolbox, and changed one of the partitions
on the 2nd HD to the old filesystem (non FFS).  I then went back to 1.3, and
after 2nd warm reboot, still could not open that partition. ("Not a dos disk")
But, after formating that partition (in 1.3 "noffs") the partition was then
useable and could be opened. (now it is not fastfile!) ie. SLOWER!

Anyone with info, other than "Did you check your monitor cable...duh!),
PLEASE HELP!
  Even if you just have a way of making my startup reboot twice or just
reboot if it doesn't find a partition of the 2nd HD, would be appreciated!

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/09/91)

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:

>In article <1991Mar7.191825.26824@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>  I can't speak for the other people having 2nd HD problems, but I am also
>having problems making the 1.3 side acknowledge the existence of the 2nd HD.

>on the 2nd HD to the old filesystem (non FFS).  I then went back to 1.3, and
>after 2nd warm reboot, still could not open that partition. ("Not a dos disk")
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now we're getting somewhere. This looks like you've partitioned and
formatted the disk under 2.0, and 1.3 is trying to find the
FastFileSystem in ROM. Of course only 2.0 has the FFS in ROM, and thus
1.3 can't read the disk. The fix here is simple. Go to the advanced
options on the partitioning screen of HDToolbox, and on (I think)
"Change file system", you'll see a "filesystem" box who's contents read
"FastFileSystem". To get it to work with 1.3, insert your "A3000 Install"
disk in df0: and change that entry to "dh0:L/FastFileSystem". Save the
changes, and the FFS partition will now work under 1.3.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
  Anticipation, anticipation, is making me late, is keeping me waiting.

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (03/09/91)

I just installed a second hard drive in my A3000.  It's a Quantum 105S.
I removed the jumpers from the original Quantum 52 LPS and connected the
second drive with a standard SCSI cable.  HDToolBox worked fine on the
second drive.  The only thing:  after I formatted the second drive for
the first time, and partitioned it, upon booting up Workbench would not
recognize the partitions as DOS partitions.  So I did a

format drive dh0: name Prog: FFS

which worked fine.  Diskspeed results are slow however.  It reports only
400 k/sec while the original 50 meg drive reports 800 k/sec.  Is there
any reason the second drive might be slower?  Should it be reformatted
with different options?

Thanks,
Veenu

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.191825.26824@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>[Second drive, which just happens to be a Seacrate, is not recognized by
>the A3000 at boot time.]
>
>The problem is most likely Seagate's LONG spinup time. You can work
>around that by getting hold of the program "BattMem" which will let you
>change the A3000 controller's timeout from the standard setting to the
>long "seagate" setting.

I don't think that this is the problem.  I have the same problem and I
happen to have a seagate also, but I have received mail from people
with other types of harddrives, including someone who had two
Quantums!

I've been trying to call commdore about this, but I keep getting put
on hold for over 30 minutes.  "Our call is important to you..."
grumble grumble....

So do any of you commdore techy types have a good answer to this
problem?

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar7.205003.8951@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
> In article <1991Mar7.191825.26824@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>>[Second drive, which just happens to be a Seacrate, is not recognized by
>>the A3000 at boot time.]
>>
>>The problem is most likely Seagate's LONG spinup time. You can work
>>around that by getting hold of the program "BattMem" which will let you
>>change the A3000 controller's timeout from the standard setting to the
>>long "seagate" setting.
>
> Let me clarify something for a few people:
>   The A3000 2nd HD problem is NOT:
>     spinup time
>     hardware hookup
>  or "operator error" (using wrong commands etc.)

I have a HP 97533S Hard disk (external) connected to my 3000.  Not a bit
of a problem.  I also just got my 3000 this last week.

> Art Warner
> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
> Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

In article <1991Mar7.205003.8951@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
>In article <1991Mar7.191825.26824@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>>[Second drive, which just happens to be a Seacrate, is not recognized by
>>the A3000 at boot time.]
>>
>>The problem is most likely Seagate's LONG spinup time. You can work
>>around that by getting hold of the program "BattMem" which will let you
>>change the A3000 controller's timeout from the standard setting to the
>>long "seagate" setting.
>
>Let me clarify something for a few people:
>  The A3000 2nd HD problem is NOT:
>    spinup time
>    hardware hookup

	Actually, it may be a combination of seagate spinup time and seagate
taking the scsi select timout period to the limit (or beyond).  Both problems
should be fixed by the infamous "seagate" setting in BattMem.

>  I can't speak for the other people having 2nd HD problems, but I am also
>having problems making the 1.3 side acknowledge the existence of the 2nd HD.
>I have to do the same two warm reboots in order to get them recognized.
>Then when they do show up on the workbench, they are not recognized as a
>Dos disk!  I went back to 2.0, ran HDtoolbox, and changed one of the partitions
>on the 2nd HD to the old filesystem (non FFS).  I then went back to 1.3, and
>after 2nd warm reboot, still could not open that partition. ("Not a dos disk")
>But, after formating that partition (in 1.3 "noffs") the partition was then
>useable and could be opened. (now it is not fastfile!) ie. SLOWER!

	Check in HDToolBox that there is a fastfilesystem in the "Add/
Update Filesystems" area (advanced options).  It should look something
like "0x444f5301	202	21992	Fast File System".
(The size and version may be slightly different.  If it says ~12K, then
it's the old 1.3 FFS.  The 2.0 FFS should be on your install disk in the
l: directory.)

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)