[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 buffers

philw@pharma.UUCP (Philip Michael Williams) (03/03/91)

--
Hi,

I don't know whether this should be posted in comp.sys.amiga.hardware or
adsp.1.4.bugs.  Hardware is the most likely...

I have a 2000 with a 4MB 2630, 2MB Micron mem board and a 2091 with a 40MB
Quantum drive.  The drive has four partitions, a small 2MB dualboot partition,
a 10MB 1.3 partition, a 10MB 2.0 partition, and the rest is work space.  The
four partitions have buffers set to 20, 100, 100 and 100 blocks using HDToolBox.

Under 1.3, once I have opened and closed the partition icon and displayed the
window, subsequent openings occur from the buffer memory and no disk access
is made.  The buffers seem to be working OK.  However, under 2.0, the disk is
accessed every time the icon is opened.  ie open/close/open produces two disk
accesses whereas only one is made first time under 1.3.  It appears that
2.0 ignores the buffers, or the automount doesn't work correctly.
What's happening ?
(This problem occurs independently of the 2630).

   Phil Williams                        cbmuk!cbmuka!pharma!philw
    Dept Pharmaceutical Sciences
    Univeristy of Nottingham             JANET: paxpw@uk.ac.nott.vax
    Nottingham NG7 2RD
    UK

In article <philw.4418@pharma.UUCP> philw@pharma.UUCP (Philip Michael Williams) writes:
>Under 1.3, once I have opened and closed the partition icon and displayed the
>window, subsequent openings occur from the buffer memory and no disk access
>is made.  The buffers seem to be working OK.  However, under 2.0, the disk is
>accessed every time the icon is opened.  ie open/close/open produces two disk
>accesses whereas only one is made first time under 1.3.  It appears that
>2.0 ignores the buffers, or the automount doesn't work correctly.

	I suspect this is merely some combination of different strategies in
the FS for caching, and an greatly-modified workbench which may well do some
accesses that happen to not be cached (if the FFS can transfer directly to
your buffer, it does so, but of course it doesn't go in cache).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)