[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Wierd Disk problems

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (03/12/91)

  Lately I have been having some problems with floppy disks such that I
am wondering if I should be worried about them.  Just yesterday, I tried
formatting 5 (five!) 3.5 disks I got from MEI for $.39 and not one of them
formatted correctly due to a bad sector error.  I attempted to format them both
on my 2500's internal drive and my AEHD drive.  All five would kick out
on the same track on each drive.   Of course I thought it was the disks
immediately, but since my old 500 was laying around I tried formatting them
on its drive and still they had the same bad sectors.  I was still a bit
suspicious thou, because in all my dealings with MEI I've never gotten
a single bad disk (much less five in a row!) so I ran Bformat 2.0 on a few
of them to allocate the bad sectors and make them usable.  Now it gets wierd.
The first disk it allocated the bad sector, but when I tried to copy to it I got
a R/W error. F**K! I tried formatting it again from WB and this time
it formatted FINE! I was able to copy to and from the entire disk without
a hitch! Argh!  So then I Bformatted another 'Bad' disk and the damn thing
didn't-even-recognize any bad sectors! So I tried writing to it and I got
another damn R/W error!  Is my computer screwed or what ?  At one time
I used to have a problem with a virus known as 'Lamer' but I am sure it
didn't infect my HD and ever since I have been running VirusX from startup.
Can someone please offer some help.

 -Joe

P.S.  I was just able to format a box of 5 brand name (Opus) disks perfectly.

jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) (03/19/91)

In article <238@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
>  Lately I have been having some problems with floppy disks such that I
>am wondering if I should be worried about them.  Just yesterday, I tried
>formatting 5 (five!) 3.5 disks I got from MEI for $.39 and not one of them
>formatted correctly due to a bad sector error.  I attempted to format them both

You've got to watch the discs that you get from MEI.  Sometimes they are good
quality, sometimes not.  Usually the 3" discs I've gotten have been good (4
out of the last 50 failed).  I noticed that for a while they had some different
5" DSHD, and none of them failed.  I then got another batch with a different
looking label in them, and 15 of 25 failed.  The other 75 that I got only had
about 5 failures.

For a while they had the beige discs that matched the Amiga case, but they
went back to blue when I got the order with the 5"ers failing.

Sean
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo