[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Series II with Quantum: Drive mak

brainwave@innotec1.zer.sub.org (03/15/91)

In der Nachricht vom 09.03.91 schrieb KEITH%ACTRIX.GEN.NZ@BUCHONIA.ZER:

#I have had my GVP Series II card with 40 meg Quantum for 4 months and
#have noticed that I can hear the drive working for short bursts BUT the
#green hard disk light on the front of the Computer doesn't light up. Is
#this indications of impending doom with my Quantum as I still have it
#under warranty. It just make a read noise say every three minutes for
#about 1 second.

a friend of mine has got the GVP Series II too but he has got a
210meg Quantum drive. Anyway, i think it could be the park-function
of ya harddisk. maybe you have to change the configuration for ya
controller.

so long

Simon

<< ZAPF1.64k >>Be Only One.... Thats why you shouldn't loose ya head!

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (03/17/91)

In article <9103101938.10.119#@BRAINWAVE> brainwave@innotec1.zer.sub.org writes:

>In der Nachricht vom 09.03.91 schrieb KEITH%ACTRIX.GEN.NZ@BUCHONIA.ZER:
>
>#I have had my GVP Series II card with 40 meg Quantum for 4 months and
>#have noticed that I can hear the drive working for short bursts BUT the
>#green hard disk light on the front of the Computer doesn't light up. Is
>#this indications of impending doom with my Quantum as I still have it
>#under warranty. It just make a read noise say every three minutes for
>#about 1 second.
>
>a friend of mine has got the GVP Series II too but he has got a
>210meg Quantum drive. Anyway, i think it could be the park-function
>of ya harddisk. maybe you have to change the configuration for ya
>controller.
>
>Simon
>
><< ZAPF1.64k >>Be Only One.... Thats why you shouldn't loose ya head!

I believe the disk accessing WITHOUT the drive light coming on is the
onboard CACHE found on the Quantum's and other high speed SCSI's.

The reason why the front light doesn't come on is because the light is
connected to the actual controller card (in almost all cases) and
CACHE'ing is an internal function of the Hard Drive and thus the
controller has not initiated a transfer, therefore the drive light does
not come on.

Matthew Crowd                         Editor - Reef Amigans Disk Mag.
cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au               Townsville, Australia.

chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us (Chuck Teschke) (03/18/91)

I have the new GVP series II for the 500 with a fujitsu hardrive in it.
It grinds the disk (burps) on a regular basis. I have never timed it but it
seems to do it every couple of minutes. It did it just a minute ago when i
started typing this message. it even does it when i turn the autoboot off and
load a program from floppy, it does it while i'm playing games or anything.
I would say between 5 and 10mins apart. i always just figured the drive was
initializing itself or something...

|Chuck Teschke |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| USENET:chuckt@theborg.mlb.fl.us |"If i have 5 megs of RAM, then why does
| FIDONET: 374/1                  |  this program keep accessing the disk?!?"
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "My employer could care less about my opinions..."

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (03/18/91)

>I have had my GVP Series II card with 40 meg Quantum for 4 months and
>have noticed that I can hear the drive working for short bursts BUT the
>green hard disk light on the front of the Computer doesn't light up. Is
>this indications of impending doom with my Quantum as I still have it
>under warranty. It just make a read noise say every three minutes for
>about 1 second.

Quantum got burned by the infamous stiction problem on an OEM contract
with Apple a year or so ago.  Their "fix" was a new prom that regularly
moves the heads all around.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

gmb@iclswe.icl.se (Grahame Budd) (03/21/91)

I don`t know if this is relevant or not but some larger disk controllers
try to avoid static build up on the unwritten portions of the disk by randomly moving accross all tracks during a given period.

If this isn`t done the static can cause head crashes. This technique was
first tried on large Fujistsu drives.

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (03/21/91)

In article <19FZLFB@dri.com> liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>>I have had my GVP Series II card with 40 meg Quantum for 4 months and
>>have noticed that I can hear the drive working for short bursts BUT the
>>green hard disk light on the front of the Computer doesn't light up. Is
>>this indications of impending doom with my Quantum as I still have it
>>under warranty. It just make a read noise say every three minutes for
>>about 1 second.
>
>Quantum got burned by the infamous stiction problem on an OEM contract
>with Apple a year or so ago.  Their "fix" was a new prom that regularly
>moves the heads all around.

It was actually a 2 part fix.  Besides moving the head around, it also has
a fix in the rom to change the current ramp up time at power on.  This causes
it to yank harder at the heads when moving them from the landing zone at power
up.  Stiction is mainly caused by the heads getting stuck in the lubricant
after the disk is powered down.  Quantum and Seagate buy their platter lubricant
from the same vendor, and they both had the same stiction problem.  My knowledge
of this is from being privy to quantum ECO's at the time.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

d_haverkamp@rk7 (David Haverkamp) (03/22/91)

In article <9103202259.27@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In article <19FZLFB@dri.com> liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>>>I have had my GVP Series II card with 40 meg Quantum for 4 months and
>>>have noticed that I can hear the drive working for short bursts BUT the
>>>green hard disk light on the front of the Computer doesn't light up. Is
>>>this indications of impending doom with my Quantum as I still have it
>>>under warranty. It just make a read noise say every three minutes for
>>>about 1 second.
>>
>>Quantum got burned by the infamous stiction problem on an OEM contract
>>with Apple a year or so ago.  Their "fix" was a new prom that regularly
>>moves the heads all around.
>

>It was actually a 2 part fix.  Besides moving the head around, it also has
>a fix in the rom to change the current ramp up time at power on.  This causes
>it to yank harder at the heads when moving them from the landing zone at power
>up.  Stiction is mainly caused by the heads getting stuck in the lubricant
>after the disk is powered down.  Quantum and Seagate buy their platter lubricant
>from the same vendor, and they both had the same stiction problem.  My knowledge
>of this is from being privy to quantum ECO's at the time.
  I assume you may have this stiction problem when you power off without
parking the drive heads...  I always park the heads on my hard disk before
power down.

>Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

David A. Haverkamp                    Collins Commercial Avionics Division
                                      Rockwell International   MS 124-211
INTERNET: dah@zoot.avgrp.cr.rok.com   Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52498