[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Optical MOUSE...How do you like it?

sungho@crhc.uiuc.edu (Sungho Kim) (03/10/91)

Could someone who has an optical mouse send me a comment on it?
How does it compare to the original Amiga mouse
in terms of performance and etc.?

Is a wireless optical mouse (Boing?) as good as wired optical mouse?

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (03/10/91)

I use optical mouses (not mice) on the IBMs at work and I don't like
them at all.  Haven't seen any optical Amiga mice, but I don't like
the *optical* part of optical mouses.
--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.022648.13321@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu> sungho@crhc.uiuc.edu (Sungho Kim) writes:

>Could someone who has an optical mouse send me a comment on it?
>How does it compare to the original Amiga mouse
>in terms of performance and etc.?
>
>Is a wireless optical mouse (Boing?) as good as wired optical mouse?

I would respond via email, but there is a bit of misinformation in the
above posting that it seems is rather widesperad:

The Boing! mouse, though it is an optical mouse, does have a nice tan
cord terminating in a DB-9 plug and a mouse.  It is NOT wireless.
What it lacks is the roller ball.  (No jokes, please.)

There is a cordless mouse available for the Amiga, but I will not comment
on it other than to say that it does work, and that I don't own one.

BTW, I do own a Boing! mouse, and find it to be vastly superior to any
mouse I have seen to date.  Thanks, Dale.  Now if I could only get a
bigger mouse pad...

--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (03/13/91)

I had to use optical mice for a CAD program at our university
and I didn't like them very much. It had quite a different feel
than a mechanical mouse. I think you should try it once to
know the difference, it's quite difficult to explain.
      Ives Aerts           |          IBM definition SY-34378
GUTEST8@BLEKUL11.BITNET    |   A signature consists of sequences of
gutest8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be | non-blank characters separated by blanks.

podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (03/14/91)

I've used the Boing! and Golden Image optical mice, and have not been
impressed. The Boing! is the smoothest, most professional feeling mouse
you can get for your Amiga.  However, GfxBase, the people who make it,
don't use a very good cord and after a few months of moving the mouse
around on your desk the high-gauge wires inside the cord break.  And the
technical support is friendly, but horrendously inadequate.  When my
Boing! broke, I sent it back.  I got another one that had the mirrors
misaligned.  I returned that, and got one directly from the GfxBase
people (I think they sent me a used one because the jack was broken
off!!!  Talk about being unprofessional).  So, I still wanted an optical
so I got the cheaper Golden Image (also known as Jin-Tech).  It had a
shitty mouse pad and was jittery and you couldn't even draw a straight
line with it.

So what did I do?  Trade it for a Golden Image regular 'ball' mouse.  It
has better buttons than the opticals have, as well.  Anyway it's
smoother and I saved myself $80 bucks.

My suggestion?  Get a Boing! but make sure you have a long warranty.
Otherwise get the Golden Image ball mouse.   THe only thing I miss about
the opticals is the middle button, but I don't see it becoming a
standard because all Amigas (even the UNIX ones) only come with 2-button
mouses.

Later,,,,

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Kriston J. Rehberg, student operator       | "Only Amiga makes it possible" |
|----------------------------------| Once the XBALANCE system has been erased |
| Opinions expressed here are my   `------------------------------------------'
| own and do not at all reflect those of my employer nor this organization  /

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) (03/15/91)

Though I have never used an optical mouse on an Amiga, the functionality
shouldn't be much different than the IBM.  Probably the best thing about an
optical mouse is that there are no moving parts which gives less chance of
breakage.  But with an optical mouse, you need a special mouse mat - and if
you lose or damage that the mouse is useless.  I dont think its worth the
extra cash for the optical mouse though...

  -=+ Steve Krulewitz +=- -=+ Fair Lawn, NJ +=- -=+ stevek@amiglynx.UUCP +=-

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (03/16/91)

In article <stevek.3484@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) writes:
>Though I have never used an optical mouse on an Amiga, the functionality
>shouldn't be much different than the IBM.  Probably the best thing about an
>optical mouse is that there are no moving parts which gives less chance of
>breakage.  But with an optical mouse, you need a special mouse mat - and if
>you lose or damage that the mouse is useless.  I dont think its worth the

I have used optical mice quite a lot on Silicon Graphics
workstations, and I noticed one serious flaw that most people fail
to mention.  On mechanical mice, there are plastic pads on the
bottom to make them slide smoothly across a rough pads.  On optical
mice, there are fuzzy pads that help them slide across the smooth
pad.  These pads will gum up with the same gunk that screws up the
mechanical ones, except that these pads are impossible to fully
clean, and I have never seen replacements for these pads.

Rick

eww@engr.ucf.edu (Mr. Eric W. Wampner) (03/16/91)

Well, just a comment from the peanut gallery:
As a game player with both roller mice and optical mice, I find both
to be usefull. Each has its quirks. Have seen some complaints about specific
amiga optical (and roller) mice, but I use a sun mouse (xtrek anyone?) and
my orginal 1000 mouse. Three buttons would be nice if you wanna run xwindows
on the 3000UX. Of course, optical mice don't need to be cleaned as often,
you do have to take better care of their pads (which scratch rather easily).
I always have my bi-monthly de-gumming of my amiga mouse.

My opinion, try before you buy! (or get a guarrantee( sp? )

Pretty lousy aint it, well it IS 3:50 AM, and my cross developing
has come to a complete halt, (from a 1000 with a 590 and 20MB to
a 1000 with a lucas and a robot attached to it, silly, but if ya only
got one port, ya only got one port.) robot machine gurus everytime.

Hey perry, if your listening, thanks, and no, it hasn't blown yet.

Eric Wampner
eww@engr.ucf.edu

I highly reccommend swinging the 1010 by its cord to lengthen it.

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (03/16/91)

In article <17557@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, Richard Blewitt writes:

> In article <stevek.3484@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) writes:
> >Though I have never used an optical mouse on an Amiga, the functionality
> >shouldn't be much different than the IBM.  Probably the best thing about an
> >optical mouse is that there are no moving parts which gives less chance of
> >breakage.  But with an optical mouse, you need a special mouse mat - and if
> >you lose or damage that the mouse is useless.  I dont think its worth the
>
> I have used optical mice quite a lot on Silicon Graphics
> workstations, and I noticed one serious flaw that most people fail
> to mention.  On mechanical mice, there are plastic pads on the
> bottom to make them slide smoothly across a rough pads.  On optical
> mice, there are fuzzy pads that help them slide across the smooth
> pad.  These pads will gum up with the same gunk that screws up the
> mechanical ones, except that these pads are impossible to fully
> clean, and I have never seen replacements for these pads.

Turn the mouse pad over, and then drag the mouse over the rough
surface - it removes lots of the gunk, and makes the mouse nice
and smooth again. [Don't forget to turn the mouse pad back over
when you're finished. :-)]

> Rick

Dac
--
David Andrew Clayton. // _l _  _ dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au    *or*|I post.I am.
Canberra, Australia.\X/ (_](_l(_ ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac@munnari.oz

rnelson@eecs.wsu.edu (Roger Nelson - Grad Student) (03/17/91)

In article <17557@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>These pads will gum up with the same gunk that screws up the
>mechanical ones, except that these pads are impossible to fully
>clean, and I have never seen replacements for these pads.

Yes this is most annoying.  When it gets bad enough, I will try replacing
the pads with a thin felt or the soft side of some velcro.

Also, the cursor behaves erratically on the SGIs when the optical mouse pad
or the mouse is turned more than degress.

I don't like optical mice at all.
IMHO, The Amiga mouse is the mouse comfortable mouse to work with and
the HP vectra mouse is the most uncomfortable.

BTW, does anyone know why the SGI optical mice have two sets of LED/LDD's?

brainwave@innotec1.zer.sub.org (03/17/91)

#
#Is a wireless optical mouse (Boing?) as good as wired optical mouse?
#

I have got an optical mouse and its works fine.... FAST... CLEAN...
no problems... the best mouse i ever had and the best it will work
a lot of years because there are no mechanic parts in the mouse...
its 100 percent compatible to the original commodore-shit-mouse but
theres only one different: the optical one is better! :-)

so long

Simon

<< ZAPF1.64k >>Be Only One.... Thats why you shouldn't loose ya head!

aites@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Jim Aites) (03/17/91)

I got a  Golden IMAGEoptical mouse about two weeks ago. I *does* feel different...smoother and lighter (no ball weight...theyre heavy). I'm using D'mouse as an acelerator and have cut *down* the mouse pad to something that matches. not

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (03/17/91)

In article <17557@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>In article <stevek.3484@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) writes:

>I have used optical mice quite a lot on Silicon Graphics
>workstations, and I noticed one serious flaw that most people fail
>to mention.  On mechanical mice, there are plastic pads on the
>bottom to make them slide smoothly across a rough pads.  On optical
>mice, there are fuzzy pads that help them slide across the smooth
>pad.  These pads will gum up with the same gunk that screws up the
>mechanical ones, except that these pads are impossible to fully
>clean, and I have never seen replacements for these pads.

I use both the standard Amiga mouse (my heavily used, 1985 A-1000
mouse is still going strong - I use a legal tablet as a mouse pad and
the teflon feet seem to like this a lot) and the Boing Mouse (on my
A3000 at work.)  Both are fine.

The optical mouse 'feet' do gum up regularly but I find that I can
clean them pretty well with a -soft- and dry toothbrush. In a pinch,
dragging your thumbnail gently back and forth over the felt pad will
knock the "big chunks" loose :)

Anyway, I was always one to say "optical mouse? No way". Then fortune
gave me one and I have grown to like it.  One (small) advantage to the
optical mice is that they have more friction against their pad than do
the roller mice. This can help if you use autopoint or do things that
requires the mouse pointer to stay in place.

bj

>Rick

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "We defy augury"                                                    |

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (03/19/91)

Hi.  I have a Sun optical mouse and pad that I'd like to use on my Amiga 1000.
Has anybody done this?  What needs to be done?

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			rps@arbortext.com
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		Home: (313) 662-4805  Work: (313) 996-3566

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (03/19/91)

In article <17557@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>In article <stevek.3484@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) writes:
>>Though I have never used an optical mouse on an Amiga, the functionality
>>shouldn't be much different than the IBM.  Probably the best thing about an
>>optical mouse is that there are no moving parts which gives less chance of
>>breakage.  But with an optical mouse, you need a special mouse mat - and if
>>you lose or damage that the mouse is useless.  I dont think its worth the
>
>I have used optical mice quite a lot on Silicon Graphics
>workstations, and I noticed one serious flaw that most people fail
>to mention.  On mechanical mice, there are plastic pads on the
>bottom to make them slide smoothly across a rough pads.  On optical
>mice, there are fuzzy pads that help them slide across the smooth
>pad.  These pads will gum up with the same gunk that screws up the
>mechanical ones, except that these pads are impossible to fully
>clean, and I have never seen replacements for these pads.
>
>Rick
	Try cleaning the mouse pad more regularly. I use a SUN 3/160M and it
has nearly the same kind of fuzzies on the bottom as does my Boing! optical
mouse. I have never noticed a problem.

poirier@ellerbe.rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (03/20/91)

In article <53147@cornell.UUCP> johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
>In article <1991Mar16.210658.10671@eecs.wsu.edu> rnelson@yoda.UUCP (Roger Nelson) writes:
>[...]
>>Also, the cursor behaves erratically on the SGIs when the optical mouse pad
>>or the mouse is turned more than degress.
>
>Depends on the mouse.  The Mouse Systems M3 on my Amiga (same as on Sun 3's)
>works very nicely even turned about 45 degrees, and is comfortable to my
>tastes.

"Taste" is certainly the key word; each to his own, but be careful here.
With respect to the Mouse Systems optical mouse (same as on DG AViiONs too),
what happens is, if you angle the mouse (less than 45 degrees wrt the pad),
then move the mouse straight along its axis, the cursor moves at an angle
across the screen.  In other words, the output does not care what angle
(up to 45 degrees) you are holding the mouse at; the pad axes take precedence.
Now if this is what you want, fine.  But for my taste, I want the cursor to
track along the mouse axes.  The doggone pad is always getting cocked, which
makes the mouse go crooked until you move the pad back.  So I taped the pad
to the desk... now there's a permanent part of the desk usable *only* by
the mouse.  Grr.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier   poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (03/20/91)

podop03> My suggestion?  Get a Boing! but make sure you have a long
podop03> warranty.  Otherwise get the Golden Image ball mouse.  THe
podop03> only thing I miss about the opticals is the middle button,
podop03> but I don't see it becoming a standard because all Amigas
podop03> (even the UNIX ones) only come with 2-button mouses.
Sorry to break this to you but,  we have been evaluating an A3000UX here,
and it does have a commodore 3 button, ball mouse.  Pretty funky (but
comfortable) shape, too.

	-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar19.195939.9101@dg-rtp.dg.com> poirier@ellerbe.rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) writes:
>In article <53147@cornell.UUCP> johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
>>Depends on the mouse.  The Mouse Systems M3 on my Amiga (same as on Sun 3's)
>>works very nicely even turned about 45 degrees, and is comfortable to my
>>tastes.
>"Taste" is certainly the key word; each to his own, but be careful here.
>With respect to the Mouse Systems optical mouse (same as on DG AViiONs too),
>what happens is, if you angle the mouse (less than 45 degrees wrt the pad),
>then move the mouse straight along its axis, the cursor moves at an angle
>across the screen.  In other words, the output does not care what angle
>(up to 45 degrees) you are holding the mouse at; the pad axes take precedence.
>Now if this is what you want, fine.  But for my taste, I want the cursor to
>track along the mouse axes.  The doggone pad is always getting cocked, which
>makes the mouse go crooked until you move the pad back.  So I taped the pad
>to the desk... now there's a permanent part of the desk usable *only* by
>the mouse.  Grr.

Actually, by "comfortable" I was referring to the mouse shape.  However,
"taste" is indeed a key word.  Mr. Poirier would rather have the control
axis relative to the mouse.  I prefer the control axis relative to the
pad because I jump back and forth between the mouse and keyboard a great
deal and am annoyed when I must repeatedly reorient the mouse.  Different
strokes for different folks!
The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

veck@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Steven King, aka Chelloveck) (03/23/91)

In article <17557@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, Richard Blewitt writes:
> On optical
> mice, there are fuzzy pads that help them slide across the smooth
> pad.  These pads will gum up with the same gunk that screws up the
> mechanical ones, except that these pads are impossible to fully
> clean, and I have never seen replacements for these pads.

On the Mouse Systems optical rodent I use on the Sun at work (same mouse
as the Boing mouse) I've found an ordinary pencil eraser cleans the pads
quite nicely.  About once every other month I gently scrub my mouse's
fuzzy little feet, and I've never had any problems.

--
So Bill, tell us about holographic food.             |      Steven King