[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] IBM modems on AMIGA's

rick@clark.edu (Rick Randall) (03/12/91)

Basic question!  Will IBM modems work on an AMIGA 2000HD.  I have a friend
that says his modem plugs into his mouse port on his IBM.  Does this
port resemble the Serial port of the AMIGA?  Any help would be
appreciated.  Please respond by E-mail.

Rick

Erik.Funkenbusch@p7.f55.n282.z1.edgar.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (03/15/91)

RR> From: rick@clark.edu (Rick Randall)
RR>
RR> Basic question!  Will IBM modems work on an AMIGA 2000HD.  I have a friend
RR> that says his modem plugs into his mouse port on his IBM.  Does this

heheheheheheheh..... mouse port.... hehheheheheheheh... leave it to an
IBM'er to call a serial port a mouse port.. heh.. that's funny.  the
only "mouse ports" on an ibm are bus mice, and modems wouldn't work
through those.

RR> port resemble the Serial port of the AMIGA?  Any help would be
RR> appreciated.  Please respond by E-mail.

I believe i just answered that.

External modems are External modems.. period.  well, there are modems
made for specific archetectues like IBM mainframes... but their
different.

root@maynhbd.UUCP (Super user) (03/23/91)

In article <669038981.1@mmug.edgar.mn.org>, Erik.Funkenbusch@p7.f55.n282.z1.edgar.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
> RR> Basic question!  Will IBM modems work on an AMIGA 2000HD.  I have a friend
> RR> that says his modem plugs into his mouse port on his IBM.  Does this
>
> heheheheheheheh..... mouse port.... hehheheheheheheh... leave it to an
> IBM'er to call a serial port a mouse port.. heh.. that's funny.  the
> only "mouse ports" on an ibm are bus mice, and modems wouldn't work
> through those.

Don't be so quick to judge the nomenclature diffs.  In fact, more serial
mousies are used in the IBM world than bus mousies (price, no card, et al),
so his friend may be a novice who just knows that his modem plugs into the
same port (or type of port) that his mouse uses.

Also, some newer systems provide a PS/2 compatible mouse port that is a
serial port as well (Microsoft shipd their new serial mouse with a 9-pin
to PS/2 adapter for these systems).

No flame intended, just sometimes things aren't as straight forward as they
seem.

Tim Jones			...!uunet!maynhbd!timj
				or   timj@maynhbd.UUCP