[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Videotoaster, your thoughts?

Duncan.Lewis@samba.acs.unc.edu (Duncan Lewis) (03/23/91)

If you have one of these babies can u post some answers to these
questions.

1) What kindof computer are u currently setup with?
I saw it being demo'ed on a 2500/30 and it was doing some amazing
stuff with frames off video.  I'm  wondering if this stufio on a card
can work with an 020 accelerated A2000 ?

2) Since you need a time base corrector, how did u solve this problem?
is there a cheap way to do this.

3) Since I'm a novice at video and want to do some 24 bit video artwork.
What does it take hardware wise to make 24 bit video on to a displayable
media like SVHS videotape?

4) From what I have read, you just can't do real time 24 bit color animation
so you need a single frame recorder, so you can do your animations smoothly.
Which is fine by me, is the video output very good?

5) any comments on the bundled software? does anythign else support it out there?

if you'd rather e-mail me, that's fine but I am sure lots of people would
like to hear user's thoughts on this amazing turned-john-sculley's head
package.

hell for the price of a toaster, I couldnt buy a Mac Color system.. power to
the people...

-Duncan

	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (03/24/91)

In article <3062@beguine.UUCP> Duncan.Lewis@samba.acs.unc.edu (Duncan Lewis) writes:
>If you have one of these babies can u post some answers to these
>questions.
>
>1) What kindof computer are u currently setup with?
>I saw it being demo'ed on a 2500/30 and it was doing some amazing
>stuff with frames off video.  I'm  wondering if this stufio on a card
>can work with an 020 accelerated A2000 ?

A 2000 with a 2630.

>2) Since you need a time base corrector, how did u solve this problem?
>is there a cheap way to do this.

You don't need a TBC if your live video is from a camera or laser disc,
only if it's from tape. BTW cheap TBC's are coming, one mfg. has  one
that retails for under 1K and competition is just around the corner.

>3) Since I'm a novice at video and want to do some 24 bit video artwork.
>What does it take hardware wise to make 24 bit video on to a displayable
>media like SVHS videotape?

The output of the toaster is NTSC not RGB. Internal frame format is 16
bit digitized composite, not 24 bit. To commit to tape connect program
output of toaster to composite input of deck. Am I missing something
here ???

>4) From what I have read, you just can't do real time 24 bit color animation
>so you need a single frame recorder, so you can do your animations smoothly.
>Which is fine by me, is the video output very good?

Output looks pretty good to me , but I haven't looked at it on an
oscilloscope or vector scope .

>5) any comments on the bundled software? does anythign else support it out there?

I haven't seen any supporting packages yet. I haven't tried all the
packages yet since I'm handicapped by lack of a good video source. My
antique Newvicon isn't stable enough to allow the toaster to sync up.
I'm saving my pennies for a nice camcorder(sony v1101 hi-8 400K pixels I
think). In the meantime I've been grabbing off of commercial tv. My main
complaint is that toasterpaint doesn't understand 8 bitplane IFF format
forcing me to save everything as 24bit IFF's or frames(we're talking
huge here). Also toaster can lock up when feed is interrupted in live
video, such as a commercial break. Tim Jennison said that this is a
known problem and is being looked at.

>if you'd rather e-mail me, that's fine but I am sure lots of people would
>like to hear user's thoughts on this amazing turned-john-sculley's head
>package.
>

>hell for the price of a toaster, I couldnt buy a Mac Color system.. power to
>the people...

I hope these comments help.