[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP 33mhz/50mhz Accelerators

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (03/24/91)

  I have a few questions targeted at owners of GVP 33mhz & 50mhz accelerators.
I just received my 33mhz settup today via fedx and to my surprise the
board said 50 mhz and had 60ns Ram.. It does however have a 33mhz CPU, FPU,
and clock crystal.  I heard a viscous rumor that many 50mhz versions use
a 33mhz 68030.. Can anyone confirm this? Because if that is true, I can
upgrade to a 50mhz amiga for the price of a 50mhz clock crystal..

  Second question: can any one please give me Diskspeed3.1 or Dperf2 results
from their IDE drives?  I did not get my system with an IDE hd because
someone told me his IDE drive only achieved 300k /sec and was not reliable.
I find myself looking for more HD storage and thus I am considering an IDE
over another SCSI if the GVP AT host adaptor is fast enough.. (and reliable)

                     -Thanks
                        -Tom Nezwek

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/25/91)

In article <91082.132940IO91461@MAINE.BITNET>,
IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) writes:

> I just received my 33mhz settup today via fedx and to my
> surprise the board said 50 mhz and had 60ns Ram..

I think that GVP are using the same PCB for 33 and 50 MHz.

> I heard a viscous rumor that many 50mhz versions use a
> 33mhz 68030.. Can anyone confirm this?

Nope, not true!

> Because if that is true, I can upgrade to a 50mhz amiga
> for the price of a 50mhz clock crystal..

You also need a few different PALs.

> I did not get my system with an IDE hd because someone
> told me his IDE drive only achieved 300k /sec and was not
> reliable.

Way too low! With a Quantum 40, you should see _at_least_
700K/s (DOS-level). Make sure the AT drive supports mode-2
or faster transfer rates. Slower drives may indeed appear to
be unreliable. The Maxtor LXT200AT is a very nice drive, for
example. I have never seen a read/write error on mine and it
is quite fast (much faster than the usual Quantums).

Ralph