[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] > Amiga Unix

tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) (03/21/91)

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:

>(jason@cbmami.UUCP)
>In comp.sys.amiga.hardware you write:

>>	In particular, can a rev7 GVP 50 MHz run Unix?

>No A2X00, with the possible exception of a few inside C-A, is running
>a released version of UNIX.  The ONLY Amigas currently supported are
>A3000s.  When (if?) an A2500/30 version is released, someone may also
>port it to GVP.  I don't know if GVP could afford the $250,000 cost for
>a source license and development, though.  The GVP boards CAN run UNIX.
>Anything that has an '030 and a couple of Meg of RAM can.  It's more a
>question of whether, or not, there will ever be a port.  Even though
>I, too, have an a2630, I'd like to see GVP provide viable alternatives
>in the market.

>Dan Taylor

It is my belief that Commodore will be selling a UNIX and anybody with an MMU,
lots of memory, and a big hard drive will be able to run it on their Amiga.
In other words, I think Commordore has dropped the UNIX boot ROM idea. So
the UNIX should won't be accelerator specific.  There won't be any need for GVP
to do a specific port.

Tal Lancaster

masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar20.172320.4773@nntp-server.caltech.edu> tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) writes:
>dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:
>
>>(jason@cbmami.UUCP)
>>In comp.sys.amiga.hardware you write:
>
>>>	In particular, can a rev7 GVP 50 MHz run Unix?
>
>>No A2X00, with the possible exception of a few inside C-A, is running
>>a released version of UNIX.  The ONLY Amigas currently supported are
>>A3000s.  When (if?) an A2500/30 version is released, someone may also
>>port it to GVP.  I don't know if GVP could afford the $250,000 cost for
>>a source license and development, though.  The GVP boards CAN run UNIX.
>>Anything that has an '030 and a couple of Meg of RAM can.  It's more a
>>question of whether, or not, there will ever be a port.  Even though
>>I, too, have an a2630, I'd like to see GVP provide viable alternatives
>>in the market.
>
>>Dan Taylor
>
>It is my belief that Commodore will be selling a UNIX and anybody with an MMU,
>lots of memory, and a big hard drive will be able to run it on their Amiga.
>In other words, I think Commordore has dropped the UNIX boot ROM idea. So
>the UNIX should won't be accelerator specific.  There won't be any need for GVP
>to do a specific port.
>
>Tal Lancaster

I would like to make a silly speculation on this thread.  I saw an Amiga 2x00
package at Amazing Computing in Dallas TX yesterday (Yea, I was back from TX
tonight), and I spotted 2500UX in the check list on the side of box.

I had the same experience when I got my 3000/16 last December, and I could
see through 3000UX under the sticker. Judging from this fact, I believe 2500UX
will be announced officially in a month or so. And of course, I am curious about
the availability of UX as a separate software product.

BTW, has anyone on the net bought 3000UX ? I had a chance to play with it for
nearly half hour over there, but its version was beta 3J. And X-clients seem
to be unstable under this beta, and I got memory fault several times when I
launched demo programs.

I also have an interest in the performance of X-window per se 'cause it seems
to be a bit sluggish even with monochrome mid-resolution on 1950.  I expected
it would match up with at least SUN3/50, but my impression was rather
disappointing one.

I would be happy if anyone could post the result of x11perf or other
benchmark programs.

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: Re: > Amiga Unix (Was GVP Acceloraters)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language